We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague in Winter Clothing

Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prague in Winter Clothing

Hi

We are looking at visiting Prague in Winter and already have goose down jackets (Kathmandu brand) but were wandering if this type of jacket would be good enough for the Prague winter as we have not experienced a European winter previously.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague in Winter Clothing

Are you talking pure Winter, like December time? I just came back from Prague yesterday. The temperature has been around 0 Celsius all week, so I have been wearing snow boots, woolen tights under jeans, thermo vests, hats, gloves and goose down jackets. And this is end of March!!

So if you are going in pure winter, do be prepared to take lots of layers with you and good boots.

Australia
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague in Winter Clothing

Hi

Yes, January most likely.

Would the type of jacket I have be effective as a top layer?

Thank you

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague in Winter Clothing

Honestly, it depends on what your underlayers are like. I am from Spain, so I feel the cold a lot. In December, when I go to Austria/Switzerland, which is similar in weather to Prague, I wear the following: long sleeve thermo vest (like the hittec ones you get from Uniqlo), 2 fleece jumpers and then a jacket like the one you are describing. Additionally I wear waterproof skiing gloves, hat and 2 scarves. The trick is to have lots of layers, as it get hot in bars and restaurants, so you need to be able to unwrap easily.

Gladstone, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague in Winter Clothing

Oh wow. I'm going to FREEZE! :) Better rethink my wardrobe. Thanks for the heads up. We are going to be in Europe in December & January. Bit different to the weather in Central Queensland, Australia in December & January, where we wear the least amount of clothing we possibly can without being arrested ;) haha. Prague is pre-Christmas, after Paris, Amsterdam & Berlin, then we move Bavaria then Christmas at Bad Gastein. We are woking our way thru a few other countries before finishing in the UK for our flight home. I'm guessing by mid January it's going to be freezing in England too?

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,946 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague in Winter Clothing

Dressing in layers is the way to go !

Yes the UK will be cold but probably not as cold as Prague ...but there again who knows ...? :0)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague in Winter Clothing

Bonny, We're from Hervey Bay and heading off in 4 weeks for a white Christmas. Stumbled across this topic looking at what to take. (Been buying over the internet as you can appreciate no winter clothes in Hervey Bay. Actually, no shops in Hervey Bay!).

We (8yr old and I) have snow gear, boots and jacket. etc. Have a great holiday. We are also in Prague just before Xmas and Xmas in Rome (not so cold). Then off to Switzerland.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,946 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague in Winter Clothing

The secret of dressing in Prague is to wear layers so you can add and take off as needed ,outside can and most probably will be cold but once you get indoors it can be very warm.

8. Re: Prague in Winter Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:18