We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
653 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

We are in the process of trying to find a place to go with 2 couples in our late 50's early 60's. I would like to do a Budapest, Vienna, Prague itinerary. My friend says she would like Budapest but that Prague is too dangerous. All I could find by doing a search is the normal pickpocketing stuff that you find everywhere. Any thoughts on why she would think this....haven't been able to get a good answer from her.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

NOone can answer for your friend since we are not inside her head!

It seems quite strange to me that she won't tell you herself.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

The only serious danger with Prague is falling in love with it and never wanting to leave.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

I have lost count of the number of visits i have made to Prague it must be one of the safest cities in Europe.

Marchwiel, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

Maybe it's a lie and she is a wanted woman in Prague. I've been a few times and a couple of times walked the city in the early hours alone and never felt unsafe. Lovely city and as jeffinprague says the only thing to worry about is not wanting to leave

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

your friend needs to get out more and do some reading up

a lot of it is urban legend..... for ex. the trains in Poland getting gased to make passengers pass out so someone can rob them

yes, at one time there was somewhat of a reputation in Prague as a stag/bachelor destination for the English blokes but those days are pratically long gone

really, the worst thing is watching your pocketbook on the metro and in tourist areas....that is the same elsewhere.

Brno
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

so just let your friend choose another place and let him/her pay your stay! :P

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

Its the safest Ive ever felt in any city even at 4 or 5 in the morning, trying to find our way back to the Apartment. Ive been to both and Prague is a much better option than Budapest.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 14:53
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

As the original poster, the feedback I am getting here is what I expected. I have not heard of any problems. I think she may be thinking there is some type of political unrest. Oh well, we will see where we end up going.

usa
Level Contributor
412 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

I stumbled drunk and alone through the streets of Prague at 3-4 am looking for my hotel and didnt encounter any problems at all. :) I was lost and the few people I did meet actually tried to help me! Another time I was walking alone thru this pedestrian walkway under a highway and encountered a group of shady looking teenagers drinking and smoking. They barely looked up as I walked by. Im sure bad things happen just like in any city, but Czechs truly seemed like a "mind their own business" kind of people.

Fano, Italy
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why would my friend think Prague is dangerous?

I live here and it's the safest city I've ever lived in. If she'd go to London or Dublin then Prague is much much safer that it's not even in the same league. Places to avoid are few and you don't really need to go there at night. I would avoid the main train station Hlavni Nadrazi and some parts of Smichov which you have no reason to go to.