We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague do's and don'ts for younger women?

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Prague do's and don'ts for younger women?

In August, myself and a small group of friends are travelling to Prague before we leave for our respective universities. We are going for a week, and I would appreciate some help.

1- Can people give me some idea of anything taboo or considered rude that might fly over out heads? Generally we are not loud people and we are usually respectful, but when I travelled elsewhere I had to soften my accent because people thought I was angry otherwise.

2- Is dress there more conservative? One of said friends has rather short dresses and shorts, would that be considered 'Slutty'?

3- Is there any hostility to using English in some places? I am trying to learn some Czech, but my friends have far more exams than myself and do not have the time. I have previously travelled to some places where using English was considered annoying, something sort of understandable.

Finally, what about ID's in pubs/clubs? Both my friends will be 18 but I will be but weeks off at the time. We are not going to get drunk, so we would not need to give it a lot, but I thought I should ask anyway. It would be nice to join my pals for a few, but it's not necessary.

Any advice appreciated, thanks. :)

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague do's and don'ts for younger women?

No problems with any of the things that you wrote. As far as dress, the CR is definitely NOT conservative - the shorter the skirts and the lower the hemlines, the better. No one has a problem with English, although if you learn a few words of Czech like "prosim" (please) and "dekuji" (thank you), you will make a good impression. And you will have no problem with getting carded in pubs or clubs. The legal drinking age is 18 but they only check people if they are obviously much younger. If they do happen to ask, just have your friends show theirs and say that you forgot yours in the hotel.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague do's and don'ts for younger women?

I hope Jeff meant the higher the hemline ;-)

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague do's and don'ts for younger women?

Sorry, I meant the neckline, not the skirt hemline.

Just trying to help the tourists to fit in with the local women;-)

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague do's and don'ts for younger women?

Thanks for the answer! I was worried I might get my friends in trouble, and the last thing you want is to be 'those' girls in a bar or club with the shortest skirts in the room.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague do's and don'ts for younger women?

In the Czech Republic it is the opposite - the worst thing is to be "those" girls in the bar or club with the longest:-)

6. Re: Prague do's and don'ts for younger women?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 05:17