We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

I would like to reach Prague in the shortest time possible with either bus or train from Vienna. It seems that the train is over 3 hours and the bus only 4. Is there a fast train going this itinerary--more like 2 hours? I cannot seem to find anything other than Euro-type multi day passes. I want to from Vienna to Prague and two days later back to Vienna.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
83 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

There isn't fast train.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,682 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

The train takes approximately 4 hours 45 minutes and costs €29 from www.oebb.at/en for Wien - Praha

There are two buses - www.westbus.at/en which takes 4 hours and costs €19

or

www.studentagency.eu which takes about the same as the train, depending on traffic, but the buses are plusher. Both have wi-fi, but studentagency also has free refreshments, movies on demand, newspapers, etc.

Back to Wien you can get the train which is €19 from www.cd.cz/eshop - choose the English option top right and away you go.

All tickets can be printed off at home. Don't use rail passes, and don't use third party agencies such as Rail Europe, Eurail, Euro rail, etc., or you will pay far more than you should.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 22:39
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

Yes, it is the buses for us. I was trying to cut my travel time but that doesn't seem to be the case. My daughter is finishing a semester abroad in Vienna and knows the bus route, so I will go by her previous experience and this will be great. Thanks so much!!

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

Arrived in Prague yesterday on West bus from Vienna. Four hours, two on freeways, two on country roads.

Take underground to Erdberg station and exit left to Erdbergstrasse. It's not signposted. Turn left on street and bus station is over the road, directly under freeway overpass. Again, not sing posted but you can't miss the buses. No-one in building was very helpful but check-in opens 30 minutes before departure and you can then go directly to bus. In Prague, underground station is behind terminal building. Just follow the mob. Hope this helps.

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

Unfortunately the Student Agency website is a disaster, and they don't respond to emails. We're going to pay extra to take the train.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,645 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

Disaster? Nothing wrong with the website as far as I know.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,682 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

Are you using the right one? Www.studentagency.eu - it takes a couple of minutes to do the transaction and choose your seats. What is the specific problem? Maybe we can help you.

There is a Hungarian imposter which has a garish website and should not be used.

glasgow, KY
Level Contributor
291 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

We bought bus tickets through euro lines bus site. We paid 22 euro. Trip was as advertised..4 hours from Vienna to Prague on time no problems.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,682 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

, that is also possible. I believe Eurolines acts as an agent for westbus, which costs €19 if bought directly from them.

glasgow, KY
Level Contributor
291 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train or Bus from Vienna to Prague

We were having a difficult time getting our credit cards to go through on the Westbus site so we asked them for help and they suggested the Eurolines site. We also tried the studentagency site and it was confusing for us. Thanks for all the help from our tripadvisor travel buddies.