We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

I was reading some of the reviews of Tripadvisor and it mentions that the Jewish Quarfer of Prague and the Starnova Synagouge is a tourist trap and many of the reviews are scathing.

I was really looking forward to visit the Jewish Quarter and the Starnova Synagouge (The Golem Syanagouge)

Is it an overpriced tourist trap and its acutally very important for me to visit this area.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,436 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

I didn't think so when I last visited.

praha
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

here is the pricing, not too bad for something you must see?

synagogue.cz/the-old-new-synagogue-page/…

New York City
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

There is more than one site there. It seems each site has its own admission fee and its a total of 480 crowns to see them all.

Its kind of hard to figure out the real price as it seems there are tour groups giving expensive tours and Id rather do it on my own

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,436 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

http://www.jewishmuseum.cz/en/ainfo.htm

this is the bit of info you need.

3. Entrance fee for all Jewish sites in the Old Town of Prague

(points 1 and 2 with 20,- CZK discount)

Adults - 480 CZK

Children, students under 26 years - 320 CZK

Under 6s - free

Family (2 adults + up to 4 children, Under 6s - free): per adults 480 CZK, per child 160 CZK

Tickets for all sites can be bought at all cash desks of the Jewish museum in Prague and at the shop in front of the entrance of the Old-new synagogue.

so looks like 480kc for all the sites.This is the ticket i used but that was a few years ago and at 480kc i think is reasonable value,i can't remember what I paid.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,625 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

The only thing that the Jewish Museum ticket does NOT include is the Old-New Synagogue. That is a separate fee.

I just read a bunch of the reviews. There are some scathing ones and some very positive ones.

Some of the poor reviews were from people who said that they only recommend these places to people who are either Jewish or interested in Jewish history. It sounds as if you fit this category so I'd just go and make up your own mind.

We certainly plan to also visit this area when we are in Prague. I know from other similar experiences that I don't need to see exhibits that talk about the Jewish religion or Jewish life because I know all about that.

For me, my interest is in the historic synagogues and the cemetery.Each of us has our own background that we bring with us when we visit historic places and that will determine what interests us and what we feel is of less importance.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,243 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

Quiet honestly, if you have the time, I'd skip the Jewish Quarters all together..it is very touristy!

I would opt for a possible tour here:

synagogue.cz/jerusalem-synagogue-page/…

better yet,

For the cost of entry fee to the mentioned above, and less than an hour from Prague, i'd simply hop a bus to Plzen and see the third largest synagogue in the world ....entrance is a mere 60kc!

quiet remarkable IMO....

For the cost of entry to the collective Jewish Quarter sites, you can likley cover admission, bus fare and probably lunch in Plzen

outsideprague.com/plzen/plzen_synagogue.html

If you have the extra time, Trebic is worth visiting for its Jewish history/cemetery etc

Edited: 04 June 2013, 00:21
London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

The only observation that I would make about the Old New Synagogue (Staronová synagoga) in terms of admission charge is that it seems a bit disproportionately expensive to pay 300CZK for the Maisel, Spanish, Pinkas, and Klausen Synagagues, Old Cemetery, Ceremonial Hall, and Robert Guttmann Gallery, and 200CZK (effectively 180CZK as part of combined ticket) for the Old New Synagogue alone. However, if you think of this just as 480CZK for the whole package (that's £16 to me, or $24 to the OP) then I consider it money very well spent. When I visited I spent around eight or nine hours trying to see everything, and I still felt rushed at the end. So your 480CZK is paying for an entire day's sightseeing, and a very good day's sightseeing at that.

I read some of those reviews, and I'm wondering what the reviewers were expecting. For example: "It is a tour to do if you like Jewish history and religion. It is only oriented to the Jew community without the context of the rest of the city and country." The first point is fairly obvious: you're hardly going to spend a day at the Jewish Museum if you're not interesting in Jewish history and religion! The second point is simply untrue. As I recall, the exhibitions definitely connected the history of the Jews with the broader history of Prague and central Europe (one could hardly limit it to the Czech Republic). For example, there was a small exhibition discussing Tomáš Masaryk and the Jews.

If you're looking for expensive tourist traps, this isn't one of them. Try the Sex Machines Museum, for example: 250CZK, and I gather it's unlikely to keep you busy for an hour, let alone a whole day.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
460 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

I can't really speak for the religious sites, but we did encounter some problems at a coffee shop in the neighborhood. I've been to a lot of tourist-centered areas and businesses, but this place was the worst when it came to taking advantage of customers. I have no idea if this is consistent with other businesses in the area, though.

I wrote a review of the place on TripAdvisor - tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g274707-d1…

It's called Pizzeria Lamberty on TripAdvisor, but it really appears more like a coffee shop than a restaurant. However, "Lamberty" is definitely still in the name.

So if you're worried about tourist traps in the Jewish Quarter, avoid this place. If you want to know why, it's all explained in the review.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,938 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

davelax40 I have added those reviews to the "Do you have a complaint about a particular restaurant/service?" In the top questions on the right hand side as a warning to others .

New York City
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewish Prague Tourist traps???

That restaurant has even worse reviews.

For those who have been to the Quarter, are the places inviting, Are there signs that explain and tell the history in English . Are there guides who might explain questions.

Thanks for the tip on the other synagouge, I wont really have time, I have 3 days in Prague and I need one of those days to visit Terezin.

for those who went is the $24 admission only good on the same day or is it good for several days and allows one entry per ticket (They punch the ticket on the sight and you cannot return without buying another ticket)

$24 is good for an entire days worth of Sightseeing, Its terrible for 30 mins.

Does anyone know if the New Town Hall is near the Jewish Quarter and how much it costs to enter, There is supposedly a beautiful statue of the Golem Rabbi in it

Is the Kafka Museum included and is it in the Jewish Quarter?