We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Prague to Vienna

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Prague to Vienna

I know exactly which train I want and the time it is leaving (EC75 Franz Schubert, 8.39 on 6 July), but when I use eShop on cd.cz it says:

Note: For the train connection you have selected, it is possible to purchase a ticket starting on 7.7.2013 and then it directs me to trains later that day.

Does this mean that there are no tickets available for 6 July?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, I'm exploring the option of using Westbus instead. Does anyone recommend a particular bus service other than them for a Prague to Vienna direct? Their fare works out to be a little more than the train.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,998 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

NO, it does not mean that no tickets are available, it only means that for that particular train the cheap tickets are sold out.

You can still take the train, but the ticket price is higher, standard price....I think about 40 euros

and in that case, the Westbus will be cheaper (and quicker)

Edited: 14 June 2013, 19:45
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

Thanks, it's a little confusing. Is Westbus my only option for a non-stop from Prague to Vienna?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,998 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

not sure what's confusing, you can take a direct train or you can take westbus/////the only difference is price

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

There is also the more comfortable www.studentagency.eu - it takes a little longer, but time goes quickly because there is a good selection of films/music on the touchscreen in front of you.

It goes quite regularly and costs €18

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

What's confusing is that the particular train passage is available but is not for sale on the website, and yet if I'm willing to pay much more, I can buy it on the Czech-transport website.

GCEK: thanks for the answer to my question about busses!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,998 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

Czech transport website is a reseller, which train are you trying to book?

Edited: 14 June 2013, 22:38
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,998 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

oh yes, E75...but as I said, you can buy the tickets on the day, the tickets dont' sell out, and no need to buy them via a reseller.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,460 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

Try buying two separate tickets from Prague to Brno (€8) and Brno to Prague (€9) on the train and the date that you want. It is the same train, you just buy two tickets.

There is no need to change, but it would be a pity to miss out on the Czech Republic's finest city - it's like a smaller, prettier and massively cheaper Vienna.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

I bought tickets for a bus through studentagency. 18 euros per person. The 360 view of the bus looks awesome. Thanks for the tip.

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Prague to Vienna

On my next trip I will visit Brno! I've only got 10 days for Prague, Vienna and Budapest!