We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel in public transport at night?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to travel in public transport at night?

Hello,

Is it safe to take the metro or bus in Prague during nighttime? Our flight will touch down Prague airport around 10 plus and we were wondering if it is fine to take the metro or bus to the hotel rather than a taxi.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,119 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel in public transport at night?

yes, safe for public transportation

however, arriving that late I might suggest pre-booking a taxi (search above for previous posts/names of services):

reasons-

kiosk to buy tickets will be closed, then you would have to find change for the ticket/vending machine.

after getting luggage, money etc. will be closer to 10:30 or so.

metro closes around midnight- a taxi can take you directly...you will not have to guess, look at a map etc that late at night...so, more comfortable/convenient to go by taxi

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,377 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel in public transport at night?

I would agree with Tejashombre for the exact same reasons.The Public transport sytem is very safe,I am just back fro a full week in the city,I was staying away from the city center and used trams and metros till very late at night with no worries whatsoever.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel in public transport at night?

Thank you very much tejashombre and unclegus for the advice. Very useful! (",)

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel in public transport at night?

i just spent 5 days in Prague and i read many many reviews about scammers and pockets thieves and i have not seen any of them at all

i had a blast in Prague

i miss it

5. Re: Safe to travel in public transport at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 03:00
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,360 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to travel in public transport at night?

Your hotel will also negotiate a great deal for the taxi because they give the taxi companies repeat business

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sincerely doubt that.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,952 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to travel in public transport at night?

I agree with Tilly ,if the hotel arranges it for you expect to pay a lot more .

8. Re: Safe to travel in public transport at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:16