We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of Dinner for local food

Virginia
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Price of Dinner for local food

Can you give me a price range for dinner in medium priced restaurants with local food. Maybe a few suggestions, we will be there in Sept for one week. Enjoy pastry also.

thank you

glasgow, KY
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of Dinner for local food

We were told before our trip to Prague that it was very inexpensive to eat in prague. We did not find that to be the case. It seemed that the cost of eating in Prague was about the same as any large city. They also have some unusual habits regarding what they term as cover charges, for instance, charging for bread and a salad dressing if you order a salad. They put oil and vinegar on the table which I thought was for my salad which didn't have any dressing on it. Then they charged me for it. This restaurant was located near the palace under an arcade. Be aware of these practices.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of Dinner for local food

If you take the effort to get away from the tourist areas then yes, you can find much more affordable food..just like in any tourist destination.

Based on travelky description, they were in a very touristy area...It is common knowledge and discussed extensivley on this board the things KY mentions..being charged for bread, service charge,pretzels etc. Eating near the palace will certainly not be cheap and fits into the 'what to avoid category'.

As in any city, getting away from the tourist areas can get you a cheaper meal. You can tell by basically pricing the posted menus based on the price of soup and beer. Soup over 50kc and beer much over 35-40kc then you are paying tourists prices. There are Daily Menus during the week..set prices. Denni Menu should avoid part/most of the problem. .

If you plan on lunch or dinner somewhere specifically, you can avoid the problem that KY mentions. Many folks decide they are hungry and randomly stop at the nearest place and that leads to the problem of the unsuspecting customer. (posters can provide tips on restaurants near your hotel)

Certainly, don't be tempted to eat the ham or halusky from the food kiosks in Old Towne..it is deceivingly expensive..by the gram! Fair Warning.

Save money, plan a picnic on Letna Hill (park)...grab lunch meat, snacks, drinks, wine etc at the local grocery store and enjoy the spectacular view. It's different and very affordable.

look here as an ex. you can convert the prices- again, simply looking at soup and beer prices gives you a gauge. These prices are considered reasonable IMO.

www.kolkovna.cz/index.php?show=menu&place=13

eating traditional Czech food can indeed be be affordable..garilic soup, fried cheese, goulash, pork with cabbage and dumplings.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 08:29
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,853 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of Dinner for local food

avoiding top end resturants you should be able to eat a 2 course meal for 300-500kc quite easily,if you head away from tourist areas then 200-300 kc will get you a 2 course meal and possibly a drink.

On my last trip about 6 weeks ago my cheapest meal was 65kc for a lunchtime goulash(89kc including a beer) about 30k outside Prague and my most expensive was a pork and wild mushroom dish for about 200kc in the Andel area of the city.The only place i got charged for bread was in an Italian resturant in Holesovice and that was the massive sum of 5kc,it did include butter.

a friend and I had evening meals(duck leg, cabbage and 2 types of dumplings and a skewer of various meats and veg with chips) in the Dejvicka Sokolovna resturant, 2 big main course and 10 beers was under 650kc for the 2 of us.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of Dinner for local food

For food prices it's worth poking around on this site http://www.lunchtime.cz/ and choosing "non-tourist" areas. For instance, here's a bunch of data for Smichov lunch menus lunchtime.cz/denni-menu/…

This is making me hungry......

glasgow, KY
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of Dinner for local food

Good advice from tripadvisor friends. The reason for posting is to advise others of what I encountered. I wish I had asked before I visited Prague. I would have tried to avoid the tourist areas for meals, but as a tourist and first time visitor, this may have been difficult for me. We only had two full days in Prague and were trying to see all the "recommended sites", thus were pretty much always in tourist areas. This thread sounds very helpful.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
68 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of Dinner for local food

The food certainly is more expensive and of less quality along the main tourist streets and areas. As an example, my girlfriend and I had just arrived in Prague and in need of a dinner. Being hungry, we chose a restaurant along Nerudova. Price for 2 meals, 1 beer, 1 coffee plus mineral water was close to 900 CZK.

The day after, we found a rather secluded restaurant, but with good reviews here on tripadvisor. We paid 560 CZK for 2 meals, a starter, 4 beers and water.

The latter is called U Baracnicka Rychta.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 16:03
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of Dinner for local food

@OP..here is just on ex. of a place that you can get traditional Czech fare for a decent price...cafeteria style place near Havelsak market // upon entrance you are given a slip of paper, each station will mark your ticket..salad, soup, entree, drink etc...pay cashier upon leaving

http://www.havelska-koruna.cz/

as KY mentioned, always worth a mention about rip-off places..believe or not there are a couple more that are even more notorious.

8. Re: Price of Dinner for local food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:19