We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wenceslas Day 2013-

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Wenceslas Day 2013-

It appears that we will be in Prague on this holiday weekend(Sept. 28and 29)

I have found this ad for events at the winery in the castle area.

czechtourism.com/e/…

a-I didn't know the castle had a winery

b-it sounds interesting but........ I wonder if we should go or if we should avoid the whole area that

day and go to a less visited part of the city because of the crowds?

Has anyone been to this sort of festival in other years?

I really enjoyed being in Barcelona during La Merce because the events were very unique so I imagine that being in town on these days might be special too.

Any opinions?? Thanks

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,701 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wenceslas Day 2013-

You will encoutner standard Prague crowds regardless when you visit. The holiday has little or no impact regarding the amount of visitors. Czechs don't frequent Prague for holidays.

It should be a nice event...nice view overlooking the city.

29th is a Sunday..it will be like any other Sunday in Prague

did you look at the actual webpage? there are photos of the vineyard, the terrace with seating etc.

www.svatovaclavskavinice.cz/gallery/galerie/

yes, it would be worth a visit..I'd say Sunday might be a little less hectic as many tourists are returning from the weekend

Edited: 14 July 2013, 20:23
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wenceslas Day 2013-

Thanks! I had not looked at the pictures or the map.

It is interesting that I do not see this winery listed in any of my guide books.

I suppose we will decide based on what else we have done by the time Sunday arrives as that will be our last day in Prague! I wonder if this particular event is held in this location every year?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,701 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wenceslas Day 2013-

There will be lots of wine festivals outside of Prague during that time if you fancy a day trip or out of town visit. You should consider a trip to Moravia if possible-you get better quality of Czech wines.

You might imbibe in burčák ...the early wine. Better to go to the source rather than imported stuff that makes its way to Prague

radio.cz/en/section/curraffrs/burcak-the-tra…

Yes, I've attended one of the previous wine events at the above mentioned place and a nice place to sit and vegitate..... the event is according to the weekend in SEPT., not actually any real relationship to ST. Wen. Day (Czechs don't move holidays to create bank holidays.)

Edited: 14 July 2013, 22:55
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,701 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wenceslas Day 2013-

Cesky Krumlov will be having a folklore festival that weekend..SEPT 27-28 to include food, music, markets..wine should definitely be available

ceskatelevize.cz/porady/…

check the first video

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wenceslas Day 2013-

Thanks for your suggestions. We are only in Prague for 1 week and then I go home and my travel buddy goes on to Italy. We'll be spending one overnight in Cesky Krumlov but unfortunately it will be during the week so we'll miss their folk festival. We have to stay in Prague over the weekend because friends from Leipzig are coming to join us there.

The first link I posted above makes it sound like they are doing a mini festival in addition to the wine tasting because they say they'll have dancing and music too sooo that will be our small taste for this trip.

BTW here in San Diego we actually have an active Czech community so I've experienced food,music , and traditional dancing without even leaving home!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wenceslas Day 2013-

We did the big launch party (2 yrs ago?) for first harvest. Of course, no wines from the vineyard. It's quite lovely and very big--oodles of booths and vendors. Glad we did it--we were staying at Hoffmeister (awesome spa/steam cave/roman bath BTW) so it was very convenient.

I can tell you to avoid all reds, just stick with the whites.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wenceslas Day 2013-

Thanks kyshel! Yes, Planning to stick to the whites there!

8. Re: Wenceslas Day 2013-

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2014, 05:20