We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
231 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

Hello - This will be my first trip to Prague, but my GF has been a few times.

We only have 3 days in the City and are wondering if it is best to join a Tour or just buy a map and walk around ourselves.

I am torn between trying to see / do as much as we can in the time we have, but I also want it to be a relaxed enjoyable experienced rather than being rushed and tiring.

Are there any recommended half day / full day tours.....or is Prague best done on our own at our own speed?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions offered.

Cheers.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

you can basically decide once you arrive...a lot of tour representatives are located/standing in Old Towne for walking tours. For a first timer, it might be nice to take a wakling tour to get the basic history..personal stories about history and legends-it would make for a more interesting visit...and an experience you can't really get from a guide book....once you finish the tour, you can return to the areas that you are interested in.

I would vote yes for a walking tour- I might opt to let the GF do some shopping for 2 hours if she is not that keen on doing a tour

praha
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

you could combine tour and map / walk. Consider the heat when you are here. If its like it is now, i would consider a bus or segway in addition to my own walking

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

there are several good walking tours that give lots of good info and help orientate you in the city,worth paying for a tour or even consider a free walking tour where you just tip the guide.but a comination of organised tour and you own thing is probably best.

http://www.prague.net/itineraries-in-prague

this link will give you an idea of what sort of things you can do.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 12:02
Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
231 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

Great Stuff!! - Thanks for the excellent responses, I appreciate it :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

you're welcome hope you have a great time in prague.

http://www.livingprague.com/

this website may be of use to you,some discounts on tours and some 2for1 restuarant deals,btw the site is completely trustworthy,i know the owner well.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
231 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

Thank you kind Sir!

One more question - any knowledge of Vegan or Vegetarian restaurants in Prague? - I know the Czech diet is heavily meat based, but wondering if there is a vegan / vegetarian scene in Prague?

Thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

If you put vegan/vegetarian into the search box at the top of the forum you should get some threads on the subjectI am not a vegetarian but believe there will be enough options in the city for you.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
231 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

Nice One!!

Thanks very much :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

I will be in Prague the middle of Sept. I would like to do the Jewish Quarter. Any suggestions? Can I do it myself or should I get a guide and do you have to do this in advance. I believe I will be there on a Friday. I am also a senior in good shape.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Take a Tour or Buy a Map and Walk??

Like our 1st visit - we're about to make our 5th. 1st morning we went on a Martins Tour of the city which included much of the Castle and was very good an an excellent introduction. We booked in advance, were picked up from our hotel and the tour ended at Old Town Sq