We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

/Trying to find the best train route from Prague to north of

Sydney
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
/Trying to find the best train route from Prague to north of

My daughter and I wish to travel from Prague to north of Spain by train from 6th Sept, 2013. We know there is not a direct route, but any ideas about the best way to do this. We are Australian, do not know Europe well and thought this may be a good way.

Thanks. Maria Mercedes

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: /Trying to find the best train route from Prague to north of

http://www.cd.cz/en/

Prague to San Sebastian eg....or ask on Train Travel.

I would not recommend train travel for the whole journey, perhaps a low cost airline to Paris and then train.

The last time and the only time I went longhaul on train was 3 years ago during the Icelandic volcano eruption...from Madrid to London....never again.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k35652…

Sydney
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: /Trying to find the best train route from Prague to north of

Thanks so much for your reply. I am hopeful to do the train trip, but realise it may not be easy. I have been told of different routes, e.g., Prague, Zurich or Prague, Nuremberg and really wondered what people thought was best.

Maria Mercedes

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,281 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: /Trying to find the best train route from Prague to north of

I think you should work out what you want to see enroute and whether you want to stop enroute or do the trip continuously (bar the train changes)

I would go via Switzerland.....I am not all that keen on Paris.....via Paris is likely to be the most convenient and speediest route.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: /Trying to find the best train route from Prague to north of

Via Paris it is relatively easy - overnight to Köln, then onwards to Paris ( www.bahn.com ) and then from there to Madrid/Barcelona/wherever. http://www.elipsos.com/en/

There is an overnight train from Prague to Zürich ( www.bahn.com ). From there to Barcelona it is probably easiest via Mulhouse and Montpellier - it takes the longest (18 hours) but some of it is overnight.

You will need to do your homework and do it quickly as you have left it late to get the best prices and every day that goes by the price can only go up - use www.bahn.com as above, and then for the rest try https://app.capitainetrain.com/ or refer to this, for example: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12483-k66715…

www.seat61.com is also a good source of information

DO NOT use a travel agent, Rail Europe/Rail Plus/Eurail or it will work out extremely expensive and will cause you more trouble than it is worth.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 13:05
Sydney
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: /Trying to find the best train route from Prague to north of

Thanks so much for this information. I have nearly gone mad trying to negotiate with Rail Europe and travel agents. I feel somewhat clearer now, so hopefully things will be clearer.

Thank you.

maria mercedes

6. Re: /Trying to find the best train route from Prague to north of

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 06:19