We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

57r
California
Level Contributor
32 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

With our upcoming trip to Prague and Budapest, my wife and I are looking for non-travel books to read that are especially relevant to these destinations. Whether great historical books, novels, etc. We are interested in anything that will help set the flavor for our trip.

Thanks in advance.

By the way - we will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary...(woohoo!) and we have booked the gerloczy in Budapest and the Hotel at the Green Grape in Prague. We are considering the overnight train from Budapest to Prague. Any thoughts on any of the above are welcome!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
624 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

This is a list that I used in preparation for our trip beginning this Saturday! Yeah!!!

goodreads.com/list/show/4260.Best_Books_Set_…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,887 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

The Good soldier Svejk,many Prague places get a mention (mainly pubs) and you can go on Svejk's journey to the great war,a great read and a very funny book.

My Avatar is a tattoo of Svejk I had done earlier this year and you can visit many Svejk themed resturants throughout the city but the No1 place is this one.,bit harder to find but a couple of tram stops from the city center.

http://www.ukalicha.cz/shop/index.php

praha
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

There is a saying that the Czechs are somewhere between Svejk and Kafka,

2 very oposing descriptons of human behaviour, here is a blog talking about this....

…blogspot.cz/2007/06/svejk-or-kafka-two-side…

Also Kundera, the unbearable lightness of being which was made into a film, the Joke, which describes how a joke could screw up your life during communism....

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,882 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

something from Frank Kafka

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Kafka_works

re-watch Amedaus

re-read One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest

re-watch Schindler's List

Madeline Albright's book

a smorgasboard here:

expats.cz/prague/…

--re: Budapest, suggest a thermal spa-stay until dusk, Hungarian goulash-'the original' creators of goulash, fish soup, the ruin bars for a drink or visit

…usatoday.com/alliance/…1

5. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 21:55
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,318 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

I haven't read Madeline Albright's book yet but I found this one to be a fascinating account of life in Prague during WWII!-It contains social history(music, theater etc.) + personal family memoir stories.

goodreads.com/book/…1961312.Prague_in_Danger

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

When I was at Oxford, which wasn't such a very long time ago, the best general history was still reckoned to be R.W. Seton-Watson, A History of the Czechs and Slovaks (London: Hutchinson, 1943; reprinted Hamden, Connecticut: Archon Books, 1965). Obviously of no use if you are interested in the period from the Second World War down to the present day, but for the earlier periods it remains, as I say, a staple of the undergraduate reading list.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,088 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

A beautiful novel set in pre-war and WWII- era Czechoslovakia is The Glass Room by Simon Mawer. It was a finalist for the Booker a few years ago.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

No one has recommended Max's book yet. Never leave home without my copy!

;-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,887 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague or Czech Republic Reading Recommendations?

well that very true, essential reading Max Bahnson's Prague ,A Pisshead's Pub Guide.

I do happen to have an autograhed copy.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 19:33