We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cologne, Germany
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

Yesterday I arrived in Prague and my friends waited me at the airport. Therefore, I did not exchange any money at the airport. There was no need. I still paid attention to the exchange rate. It was 1 euro to 22.45 czk.

When we arrived in Prague city, we exchange at a kiosk hanging an Western Union sign. (Later on I realized Western Union is just for money transfer. Nothing else. ) The exchange rate showing on the plate was 1 euro to 25 czk and no cominssion fee. I changed 150 euro and got 2699 czk. I felt strange and got a receipt. Then I realized it was 1 euro to 17.9 czk I got. I did nothing because I'm not local and there might be a local gang or whatever.

Even ATM charges 6 euro commission is much better then this. Just becareful. Don't forget to ask how much you get before you put your money at the desk!!!

praha
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

Yes be careful with the signs saying No Commission. That could well be No comission if you exchange over a certain amount, like 1000 euros, and the same could apply to the exchange rate, they do not put the small print on the signs.

I have my own special mini kiosk, in Celetna street, small place not far from powder tower. Usually its 25 kc / euro, no comission, also no receipt (his tax affairs are not my business). Have used it many times without problems.

Edited: 03 August 2013, 10:57
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

Sometimes (unadvertised) rate small print states the rate is only if you change 5000 euro or more. Other scam is they ask if you would like a map then charge you 8 euro for it without telling you.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

If you are near Wenceslas Square, there is an honest bureau de change near the bottom of Wenceslas Square on Na Prikope Street/Strasse. It's in the Cerna Ruze shopping arcade, just inside main door on the left. Cerna Ruze is next to McDonalds and Communist Museum on Na Prikope.

I have used them many times without problem.

usa
Level Contributor
412 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

I was about to post about an exchange bureau that was fair that I used in wenceslas square, whitespirit. I might be thinking about the same one. A few doors down from the Grand Hotel Europa?

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

franklin962>>>>>>>> The Europa is a fine old hotel, worth a look inside for the historic interior. Not sure if it still has that air of faded glory, or maybe had a lick of paint since I last had a Turkish coffee in their cafe. Hope they haven't polished it too much, the slightly care-worn look was part of the appeal.

The B D change that I was referring to isn't actually on Wenceslas Sq. It's close though. If you walk down to the bottom of the square and turn right into Na Prikope, you'll find Cerna Ruze on the right just past McD's.

the Czech Republic
Level Contributor
721 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

It probably said somewhere that you have to change over a certain amount of money in order to get the higher rate. I actually got a similar place to return the money to the customer several times simply by absolutely insisting that they reverse the transaction. It does not always work but it is worth a try. Better yet, only exchange money in places recommended by reliable locals.

7. Re: Do not exchange in your money in the kiosks in Prague!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:17