We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

We're looking to rent a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 weeks rental next summer.

We're mum and dad, a teenager and my 60+ mum.

At the top of our short list is a place at Balbínova 16 and one at Kremencova 17.

I've looked them up on google maps but I don't have any local knowledge of the area and I'm hoping some of you might be able to give me a better feel for neighbourhoods, closeness to groceries, to transport (metro and trams, although we're good with walking a fair bit), etc, what's noisier vs. quieter, etc. Anything you think we need to know or just what would be your personal choice and why.

Thanks in advance!

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

The latter is a much cooler location, although others will have to tell you whether being so close to U Fleku might mean too much noise at night. It is a pretty major tourist destination for beer drinkers, but I have no idea if the noise spills outside or not.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,649 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

I think both locations are fine, Balbinova is in Vinohrady which is a classy area....public transport is walkable distance for both, and food shops would not be a problem.

I would not hesitate to go for either,,,,check whether there is a lift in the building...,you mum may need it.

I think Balbinova is quieter, but not entirely sure. And I don't look for air con, there probably won't be any.

Edited: 04 August 2013, 14:44
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,469 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

I have stayed in a Hotel on Kremencova and found the location ideal. loads of bars and resturants within easy walking distance abd the Old Town Square can be reached in less than 15 minutes strolling.At nearby narodni trida is a great selection of tram that get you all over the city, there should be a metro there but it is undegoing total rebuild at the moment and is closed but there ae other metro stops that are within easy reach.

Not stayed in Balbinova but have stayed the other side on namesti Miru on Americka and again a great area.Loads of trams and metros at namesti Miru and plenty of bars and resturants around the area.

both places are good choices just decide which one offers the best for you.

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

Thanks so much guys.

We actually did find air con with the one on Balbinova: oh-prague.com/en/prague-apartments/ref_16386/

but we've always gone through homeaway and vrbo (with great luck) and I'm a little concerned about dealing with a management company and one I can't seem to find too much info on.

The Kremencova listing has only fans but supposedly great breezes too (according to reviews) and we've been dealing with the owner and I feel confident that he would take care of any problems that arise.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

So it is a matter of taste. Kremencova is cooler and a little closer to the heart of Prague 1, while Balbinova is classier and almost certainly quieter. If the weather is as hot as hot as it is now (not likely) and you have no AC (likely), then you may have windows open at night. My initial vote was for the "cooler" one, but I think inevitably it will have a few more noisy pedestrians in the middle of the night. With windows closed, that is not likely to matter.

We always stay on Karoliny Svetly, and some of the 3am open window noises are actually rather entertaining, but that is undoubtedly just me.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

Hmm, looks like I was telling you NO AC at the same time you confirmed you actually did have AC at one of em.

Who ya gonna believe? The management company or a total stranger on the internets?

7. Re: Comments/advice on location of two apartments?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:18