We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilsner tour from Prague

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
42 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Pilsner tour from Prague

Hi,

My partner & I are staying at the Corinthia Hotel from this Thursday to Monday next week. We are looking at doing the normal touristy stuff (Castle, Jewish Quarter, Bridges, Squares etc.etc.etc.) I would also quite fancy squeezing in a brewery tour of some description. My preferred choice would be the Pislner Brewery (it looks very reasonable compared to the likes of the Guinness Brewery in Ireland!), the only problem is... how to get there? I have been looking at organised tours but the ones I have found seem to add cave or glass tours as well bringing the cost up to around 1500CZK PP.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good organised tour company to go with? Or the best way of getting to Pilzen by ourselves? ... Or even some alternatives, Prague Microbreweries etc.?

Thank you!!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Prague
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Discover Prague Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Prague On Segway, on E-Scooter, on Quad
City Tours, Segway Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Next City Tours Prague
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

get the train from Hlavni, you can get the metro from Corinthian towers right into the train station ,trains to Plsen run every hour or so,check on www.idos.cz for times.train takes about I hour 40.you will see the brewery on your Right hand side as you approach Pilzen station.To get to the brewery just head out the main exit past the car/taxi area onto the main road,turn right here and walk to the underpass of the motorway,head down and go to the far right exit,up the stairs and follow your nose to the Brewery gates,once through the gates the visitor center is on your left hand side about 50 yards away should take 5 or so minutes walk from the train station.I think the first english tour is 12,30.

prazdrojvisit.cz/en/…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

for micro breweries look at this link

praguebeergarden.com/pubs/…microbreweries

lots to choose from in the city,if you read mt recent trip report you will get a lot more info on them and what i though of them.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k659…

I have been to most of the micro breweries in the city and can reccommend them all but Uneticky ,Marina Holesovice and Klasterini have been my favourites but not by much as they are all good.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
42 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

Thanks unclegus. Have you been on the Pislner tour? Is it worth while or would you recommend something else?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
42 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

I keep stumbling across people talking about 'tank pubs'... any recommendations there?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

I have done the plzen brewery tour 5 times over the last 11 years,it has changed quite a bit since my first visit but it really is the best brewery tour I have been on.There is also an excellnet resturant within the brewery so worth trying the food there and of course sipping a few beers.

Sokolovna that I mention in my trip report does tanked Pilsner and tanked Gambrinus,nearbt U Veverky (the pub in the beer hunter clip from myt rip report) does what I consider to be the best taked beer in the city,nearer the center of towm U medvidku does superb taked Budvar ,they also have a micro brewery in there,near there on Narodni is a Krosovice pub(can't remember the name) doing tanked beer. Sklep bar opposite Viktoria Zizkov football ground does good beer and great food huge portions but there are mumerous others tankova pubs and i am sure others will mention them.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

The Staropramen brewery in the Smichov area of Prague also runs brewery tours. It's a reasonably good tour, but I would imagine not up to the standard of the Plzen tour, which I have yet to do. At Staropramen, it's the standard format of tour round the workings followed by tastings.

The Staropramen tour will lose points mainly because of the beer. It is considered slightly inferior to the Plzen product and others mentioned by Gus. It's still a much better beer than UK produced lagers though.

http://www.staropramen.com/en

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
30 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

We are plannin to visit the Pilsener Urquel brewery as well, however our arrival in Prague from Budapest will be Friday afternoon11 Oct Will the brewery be available to visit Saturday 12 Oct or Sunday 13 Oct or will we have to do it on 14 Oct, Monday?

RI
Level Contributor
354 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

Unlce Gus is the man. Took his advice and went by train to Pilsen last year, spectacular scenery. Something like 200 Crowns round trip. Enjoyed the brewery tour but it dragged for me as the 3 other folks asked enough questions to start a brewery. I admired their curiosity but it made the tour take much longer. The brewery restaurant is A+, I think it 's called Na Spilcne, the meal there was on par with another of Uncle Gus' recommendations of U Veverky (At Na Spilcne I had pork neck steak, brussel sprouts with bacon shavings, and potato pancakes-there of course have the tank Pilsner as well as unfiltered Gambrinus-both were wonderful).

I like the tank Pilsner Urquell the best of the tank beers, but I guess I don't have enough of a discerning taste to pick one place over another. Yes I enjoyed it at U Veverky, but also at Plzensky Andel, and at the Golden Tiger (Zleho Tigre?) as well as other places. If I had to pick one place it was at the brewery restaurant where I believe it was served the coldest.

The Old Gott brewery at U medvidku is my favorite Prague beer, I liked it better than the offerings at U Tru Ruzi and Klasterini, though they are also very enjoyable.

I have no problem with the Staropromen, it's a lighter pilsner and I go for it at U Rotundy after I go to Old Gott (the Old Gott is an amber lager). U Rotundy is unchanged since Communist times and I just love the atmosphere there.

The problem with Prague is there are too many must go to places. Two years ago I stayed literally across the street from the Staropromen brewery and didn't even make it into their restaurant whcih gets good reviews let alone make the brewery tour.

Gotta give a shout out to Kralovstrvi on Kubelikova 36, great food and Cerna Hora beer and super real and local. The neighborhood looks a little sketchy but I think it's okay, but wouldn't be my first choice to walk around at 1 or 2AM. Inside the people couldn't be nicer.

Closer to the center Lokal gets great marks for food and tank Pilsner Urquell. They may serve the beer in different ways there, one may be all foam?? Lokal was chosen one of the top 10 places in Prague to have a beer by a panel of prestigious locals, and Uncle Gus got his comment in on that article too. On the same street, Dlouha, is the Prague Beer Museum, great beer and a lot of fun to sit at the bar.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

SteveB the tours should run every day, check the link at the end of post one , you should be able to get all the details of the tour from that . any problems just let me know.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pilsner tour from Prague

+1 for Kralovstvi. Has a really good, local, friendly neighbourhood pub feel about it. Cerna hora is one of my favourite beers. If you're up that way, don't miss out on the interesting and well kept range of beers at U Sadu. The food is good too, and the late kitchen comes in handy on a late night.

For a break from Czech cuisine, there is also a first class Greek restaurant near these two pubs called Olympos. Fantastic interior, very smart and the food straight from the charcoal grill is like being back on a Greek island. Wonderful flavours, and the smell of the fish/meat cooking on the hot coals. Worth the trip to Zizkov! But even better..............................it's not expensive.