We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More New Beer

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
More New Beer

You guys turned up Nota Bene so quickly, that I feel like I am on a roll here.

I am looking for suggestions on the best places to look for new or craft beers in Praha. This is our tenth visit in ten years so we have lots of favorites, but last year her kids were with us and we did much less exploring than usual.

What are best new breweries and brew-pubs of the past 2 or 3 years? Extra credit if the food is great, too. Surly service is just fine, so long as I can figure out what I am ordering!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: More New Beer

this is what i love about this forum all us beer buddies sharing info about one of the things we love.

Though it is great getting some of these beers away from the micro brewery in which it was produced i still like to get to these places and sample it a source. I am now much more confident in using buses and trains to get me to and from places and even planning walks so i end up at a micro brewery.

RI
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: More New Beer

Gotta admit Uncle Gus that going to the source has a lot of appeal. I'm working on my confidence, my last trip was my 4th to Prague and 1st time I used the trams :-) (but I also took the train to Pilzen)

whitespirit, that Krusovice pivnice on Nardoni Trida 7 is nice, the food was great the first time I was there, not as good last year, and there was a service charge (posted on the menu) that I missed until the bill came and didn't remember from my first visit. Maybe that's why I was the only one in my area eating, everybody else was just drinking but the place was packed, almost all, if not completely all locals.

Nothing brings back that Communist feel like Rotundy, I love it there.

U Tri Ruzi chicken with root vegetables as good a meal as any I had in Prague, beer very good, service the nicest, though Klasterini (and U Veverky) the food and beer as good and the service almost as nice.

But this year I vow to not be so weak, so dependent on these friendly places in the tourist area (well I will try Lokal, then with Beer Museum being on the same street I can hardly be faulted for going there, and of course it'd be blasphemy not to return to Old Gott). I will get to U Kolocnika across from the prison, I will get to the Pivni Pivni Tramway and I will get to the Jihometsky Pivovar. Oh and I will get to Zly Casey.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: More New Beer

I have not ruled out visiting the source for Unetice, but I am not so sure about the wife ;)

hmm, looks like this makes post 666 for me. Is there more I should know about this "source?"

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: More New Beer

I've been planning my trip for months, thought I had my list of pubs to visit sorted but I keep reading posts like these ones and having to rethink! Pivovarsky Klub looks very close to my hotel so I should make it there for a couple, apart from that who knows where I'll end up!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: More New Beer

Edinburgh, don't worry to much about trying to fit them all in it is just impossible,i have been travelling to Prague for years and still find new places to try and go back to old favourites, there are just so many good pubs in the city.

Go with the flow and if any place takes your fancy go in and have a beer.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: More New Beer

I gotta agree with Whitespirit about Pivovarsky Dum, several degrees too sterile for the likes of me. And the food seems more aimed at the ladies after tea. U Sumavy around the corner would sit far better.

But I'm sitting here on the edge of my seat waiting for Whovous' take on U Tri Ruzi, not that I have any doubts that our Sir UncleGus would steer us wrong or anything ... just would like to have an "independent third party opinion" for preparation that is! ;-{)

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: More New Beer

I'm glad it wasn't just us/me, Snydley. Dum seems to have a bit of a reputation of being a Prague institution. We didn't find the beer interesting (perhaps a bad night?), and the interior/character didn't seem inviting either. Klub's interior isn't the best, but the beer is. It has a carefully selected range of approx 7 draught beers and 100s of different bottles from around the world lining the walls. The beer is slightly dearer than an ordinary pub, but it's a step up in quality too. Some of the beers, you don't want to stop drinking.

Have to agree with Gus, about liking a good ramble on here about the C. Rep's. beers. Makes me miss Prague whilst stuck in The UK and look forward to my next trip even more. I'm sure we're breaking a forum rule, LOL.

alan666>>>>>>> Thanks for the info re. the pubs we're going to visit. Particularly looking forward to Rotundy for a bit of communist era atmosphere. In a similar vein, I think it's a shame that the Narodni Trida station was demolished, but hope they won't be removing traces of Prague's communist period from the other stations.

I definitely recommend that you visit U Kolonicka for a Hubertson beer. It's an ordinary pub in an ordinary neighbourhood, but had such a great atmosphere inside. Really busy in evening, with tables full of people talking and enjoying their beer. Not smart inside, reminded me of something like a busy London East End pub, that you would have found in the 60s.

Definitely also do Pirvni Pivni Tramway. This place is very special and unique. The beer and food is great and they make a really special effort to welcome tourists, even though they're right on the edge of town. If you start out early, you can easily combine the 2 pubs as Kolonicka is on the way to PP Tramway. After visiting Kolonicka, you can walk for 10 mins to Namesti Bratry Synku and pick up the 11 tram to it's terminus at Sporilov. Step out the door of tram and the pub is in front of you.

For anyone wanting to visit a micro brewery pub, there are 2 good ones, quite close to Prague. Pivovarsky Dvur Cheyne is easily reached on a bus from Zilicin metro station. The dark special beer (Chyne Dvorni Special 14) and home made lamb sausages are worth the trip. Bit like an English country pub inside. Go to the small pub (Krcma) at the back of the yard, not large pub on the left.

Berounsky Medved is a little further out, but still easy. Take the train to Beroun and the brewery/pub is a 3 min walk from the station.

http://www.berounskymedved.com/home.html

http://www.prvnipivnitramway.cz/

RI
Level Contributor
308 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: More New Beer

And thank you whitespirit for the info on the places that will be new to me.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: More New Beer

Lots to cover here. I think I bought Evan Rail's Good Beer Guide for about my second visit here in 2005. Pivovarsky Dum seemed amazing then with all its own brews, but the beer scene has moved on and it has not. Still love dessert there, but both beer and food are just ok, and the atmosphere is maybe less than that.

Pivovarsky Klub started with many of the same beers, but grew into something much more. More beer and better food. I regret not getting there for a while.

I am really surprised by all the mentions for U Rotundy. It is just a few doors down from our apt, but it has never crossed my mind to step inside.

Teesside, England
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: More New Beer

Bit off topic but just a update. Tesco have Budweiser dark in, or at least they do at our local one. Enjoyed a nice cool bottle tonight in my U Tri Ruzi glass, remanissing about Prague!