We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

must try beers??

Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
must try beers??

So with the help of this great forum and a few websites I started to create a list of pubs/microbrewerys I wanted to visit on my 5 day trip in October. But with so many great places to choose from I have a very long list and with trips to plzen and visit to the zoo (my girlfriends choice) and other sites to see I will not be able to get to them all. So I am now looking to make a list of 5-10 must try beers.

help with this will be much appreciated

Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: must try beers??

It is not at all a micro, but the name "Urquell" means original, and you must try the Urquell tapped, to have a frame of reference for everything else.

The beer at the end of the brewery tourist amazing, but you should drink it in a tankova pub as well.

Beyond that, you need to put Unetice on your list. Most people prefer the 10°, but I prefer the 12°. They do a few specials at various times as well. I just had their Polotmava Zitna today;it is made in part with rye malts and is surprisingly smooth for rye.

It is important to know that the Czech craft beer industry is much focused than its American cousins. That is not to say it is better or worse, but it is definitely different.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 15:20
Washington DC
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: must try beers??

I meant to say "Urquell" well tapped, as in a tankova.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,476 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: must try beers??

Uneticky 10

St Norberts IPA

Matuska( varies as it is made in very limited quantities)

Oldgott 13

Tankova Pilsner Urquell

Kozel Cerny

U Tri Ruze Dark Lager

Cerna Hora Velen

Svijany Maz

Merlin Cerny

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,476 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: must try beers??

The beer from the great barrel in the Plzen Brewery is superb,you will get a taste on the tour,remember to grab a large glass,this will be you base to assess any other Pilsner style beer from then on.

Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: must try beers??

Thanks for the help. Hate to be a pain unclegus but suggestions of places to try the beers in your list would be great

Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: must try beers??

I notice the Únětický pivovar is some distance outside of were I am staying is it worth the travel or are the places serving there beer in the centre just as good

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,476 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: must try beers??

Uneticky 10 Uneticky Brewery but there are a few places in the city to try it

St Norberts IPA Klasterini Pivovar

Matuska( varies as it is made in very limited quantities) Beer Museum Pub

Oldgott 13 U Medvidku

Tankova Pilsner Urquell lots of places but U Veverky is my favourite

Kozel Cerny ,widely available

U Tri Ruze Dark Lager U Tri Ruze

Cerna Hora Velen Lots of places but last time I drank it was in a Cerna Hora pub in Brno but Beer Museum Pub

Svijany Maz again Beer Museum Pub

Merlin Cerny again Beer Museum pub

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,476 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: must try beers??

http://www.praguebeergarden.com/

look at this link,you can click on the beers and you can find a pub with that beer.

praha
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: must try beers??

there are a number of the smaller beer brands in this place under one roof, they also have samplers

jamapub.cz/pub/…

Edited: 20 August 2013, 15:43
RI
Level Contributor
355 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: must try beers??

Pavlov would love us. All somebody has to do is put the word "beer" is a post and we all come drooling over here to respond.

Whovus' made a good suggestion to try the tank Pilsner Urquell as a good guideline. I think it's the best of all the tank big name brands.

Can't really add much to Uncle Gus's suggestions. You of course see that the Beer Museum gives you the most efficient way to sample many of the "must haves". I do plan to try a sampler of one of each of whichever 30 beers they have on tap during my next trip (forget if a sampler is 2 or 3 ounces, but it's an achievable goal). I'll probably pass on the Opat Chocolate or any of the "fruity" beers, they just don't do it for me so that could knock the list down to 25 or so.

One clarification I'm not sure about, Uncle Gus mentions the Old Gott 13, I'm not sure if that's their light or semi-dark. Those two Old Gott beers are my absolute favorites, and while there will probably be one of them on tap at the downstairs bar at U Medivdku, they'll both be available on the top floor where the actual brewery is. I also found much better service upstairs. The downstairs bar at U Medvidku is the worst service I've experienced in Prague with the exception of U Fleku (U Fleku is the only place I wouldn't return due to their service, the bar at U Medvidku is often busy and the bar staff also has to service the waiters. They did though give me change for a 100 krown note when I gave them a 500, when I called them on it they gave me the correct change and said it was a mistake which perhaps it was).

Edited: 20 August 2013, 16:12