We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol content of beer?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,042 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol content of beer?

Well we all had a lot of fun discussing beer yesterday so I've thought of another question.

Do you know the alcohol content of the beer? Does it vary much?

Here at our craft beer pubs they list it along with a description of the taste.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Alcohol content of beer?

I'm not sure if Czech craft beer is the same, but in the UK "standard" beer tends to be around 4 or 5 % ABV, while the craft beers I Drink are often 6 or 7 (or 12 in a recent case!). Hopefully that should stand me in good stead for the numerous beers I'm looking to try in Prague.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Alcohol content of beer?

I usually find in the micro breweries they have the % alcohol on the menu but not always, but yes you will find quite a few beers at 6% and above in the micro breweries.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,286 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Alcohol content of beer?

Gus:

In Prague one has the option of pasteurized v. non-pasteurized beer.....is either one 'stronger' (i.e.more alcohol content) than the other or is the difference strictly taste??

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Alcohol content of beer?

just the same strenth as far as i am aware, but the tatse is a little different

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Alcohol content of beer?

As far as I know, dividing the plato amount given on Czech beers by 2.5 gets you the ABV, near as damn-it. So, a 12 degree is approx 4.8 ABV, and a 16 degree is 6.4ish ABV.

This isn't an exact result, as I believe that other factors, eg. temperature of beer, can affect things. Though, as the beer goes down, the calculations go to pot.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Alcohol content of beer?

Thanks whitespirit, that's a useful guide. Let's see how my arithmetic holds up after a few 16 degrees!

17. Re: Alcohol content of beer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 06:21