We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

During my visit to Prague I am planning a day trip to Dresden, so can someone please help me with the following?

From where do trains start their journey to Dresden -station, platform-and where do I have to go to buy tickets? Is a day before the trip sufficient time to find tickets? If I also buy the return ticket, can someone explain the way I should validate them? I mean are there machines at the train platforms or do I have to find an inspector for the validation?? and what about the validation rules in Germany for the return trip...is it the same method or something else?? Also do I need to be at the train station like 1/2 hour before the trip, in order to find the right platform, seats etr...

Any advice ot useful info would be really appreciated, as I am not really familiar with train travel.

Thanks in advance for your time,

Evie.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,133 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

Buy your tickets online at https://www.cd.cz/eshop/default.aspx . If you buy more than three days in advance, it will cost you about 20 € each way. You print out the ticket and have it with you along with your travel document that you inputted online when purchasing (passport or EU ID card). The conductor will check the ticket on the train. Just get on and go. You don't need to be there early - just cut it as close as you like. The train won't wait for you:-) You can board the train at Praha Hlavni nadrazi (the main station) or a few minutes later at Praha - Holesovice (in the northern part of the city) - whichever is closer to your accommodations.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 20:20
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,944 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

If you take 6.39 from Prague to Dresden, EC178, and EC179 back, departs Dresden at 19.08, then the return ticket costs only 23 euros.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,449 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

If you buy a return ticket you have to show BOTH portions on your outward journey.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

Thanks all for your answers!!Unfortunately the online buying of the tickets its not an option, so I will have to buy them by myself at the central train station??The same day of the journey or a day before??Right?? And as I understant there is no need for validation, just I will have to keep them along with my passport and present them to the conductor. Is the same method valid for the return trip from Germany??

Edited: 10 September 2013, 18:19
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,944 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

makes no difference when you buy them if in person, and I suppose the procedure is the same, as per post 3.

But the cost will be much more, you should try to book on line.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,449 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

It will cost you €42,40 return if you buy on the day, and you can use any train there and back within the space of one month, and you can stop of wherever you like along the route within that period.

Just buy it from the ticket desk, no need to validate.

Don't buy the return section in Germany or it will cost even more.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 18:48
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

So,that's mean that if you have buy your tickets online then you can use them only for the day and time that are been issued....but if you buy them at a cashier counter at the station then it's like an open ticket??which means that you can use them whenever you want in a period of a month and without limitation on department hours -for example you can choose to pick the 6.39am train or the 8.39am train-????

If that's the case then it can explain the difference of the price for buying online or at a cashier counter. But it is also so convinient, since you do not have to worry about time or even day of the trip!!!

Can someone,please, confirm if I am right or wrong???

Thanks!!

Edited: 11 September 2013, 18:11
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,944 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

You are correct - hence the price difference

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

Thanks!!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,944 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question to a train expert about day trip to Dresden!

30 days only applies to international tickets..just thought I mention it