We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,175 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

Sooo it won't affect my packing but just wondering what is seen on the streets of Prague these days?

long dresses/skirts?

leggings?

neon colored sneakers/trainers?

bright colored jeans?

sandals?

Uggs?

Just curious

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

all of the above, what did seem very popular when I visited in late May was leggings with a flimsy ragged edge skirt over the top,not that I was particularly looking just seemed lots of them around wearing that sort of thing.

I wouldn't worry just about everything goes.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,175 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

NOT worried! Just curious. I didn't expect you to be the fashion expert! Who knew?

Edited: 10 September 2013, 15:44
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,588 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

I hide my light under a big huge bushel.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

These days, even with my total lack of fashion knowledge, I can see that fashions in C. Rep are more or less the same as elsewhere. However, it appears that Czech women appear to be smarter and take more interest in their appearence than women in The UK, especially younger British women. I would say that they try do dress in a more feminine way and possibly slightly more conservatively. You only need to visit most British city centres on a Friday night to see the contrast.

However, it has not always been like this. When travelling to C R in the mid 90s, fashions appeared to be 10 or 15 years behind The UK. Poor quality denim and mullet hair cuts were very popular, particularly with the men. Having not long emerged from behind the iron curtain, this was understandable. People living under communist rule had been starved of Western clothes and goods. A pair of Levis jeans was highly prized and almost like an unofficial hard currency.

So, as for what to pack - I would say just wear what you are comfortable with, as most mainstream fashion from US or UK will fit in. But then again, what do I know? I'm a bloke, who's only here for the beer!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,788 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

a mullet hair cut was very popular with german footballers:),,,and think of our own Chris Waddle

there were foreign currency shops called Tuzex.,,,

Edited: 10 September 2013, 17:58
Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

Yes, the mullet wasn't indigenous to CZ. It's habitat was far wider, but now virtually extinct. If Mr Waddle's was during his early career, it could almost be excused. Being the early 80s. If at the other end of his career, that would be unforgiveable.

Out of interest, when did you first visit CZ Tilly? An old friend informed me recently that he first visited Prague in 1975. Must have been a very interesting time to visit. I hope to quiz him on his experiences when I see him next.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,788 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

1990 - Castleblanca (sp) has been visiting for centuries (sorry Robert:)

Edited: 10 September 2013, 18:25
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,788 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEMMfV5-Qg

great song!!!

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

5 years before me. Still, 90 or 95 - very different to today.

That's an interesting point about Whitecastle. Sounds like from what you say, they are the earliest visitor to Prague/CZ on here. Unless anyone knows different?

But then again, that's probably a subject for it's own thread. I'm in danger of sending this one into a siding.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,788 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just wondering--"seen on the street fashion" ?

I am not arguing just a bit off topic