We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

distances

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Flesherton, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
distances

We are staying at the Art Deco Imperial Hotel in November. Just wondering what is our closest Metro, & can we easily walk to the Old Town, Prague Castle? Also, not having been here before we would like to know the names of the grocery stores. Thanks.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,617 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: distances

The nearest metro would be namesti Republicky just a short walk away, the Old Town Square is easily walkable as in wenseslas square,The castle area you would need to get a tram to.

Grocery stores are Albert, Billa and Tesco,there is both an Albert and Billa store near Namesti republicky

Flesherton, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: distances

Thanks Uncle Gus. Your info from this & all the other replies are so helpful. We are hoping to go to a concert at The Spanish Synagogue 5:30pm Nov.20 & at the Lobkowicz Palace at 1pm Nov.21. Should we be ordering tickets ahead of time or are we likely to be able to get them the day of? Thanks again.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: distances

I can comment on:

Lobkowicz Palace at 1pm Nov.21

You could buy them online, but we have always bought the tickets on the day... Good value is also the Combined Ticket ... you get 10% off....copying from the website:

Discount of 10% by purchasing a Combo Ticket, which includes admission to the concert, entrance to the museum and a voucher for 10% off at the The Lobkowicz Palace Café.

lobkowicz.cz/en/Midday-Classic-Concert-79.htm

Flesherton, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: distances

Thanks. Great website. Is it possible to watch the changing of the guards & still make it to the concert on time?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: distances

I think the main changing of the Guards is a 12.00 noon and takes about 10 minutes,it is less than a 10 minute walk down hill to Lobkowicz .

Flesherton, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: distances

Terrific. Thanks.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: distances

Don't expect too much from the changing of the guards, though - it is quite underwhelming - no goosestepping or fanfares, basically a couple of soldiers in natty pale blue uniforms will saunter up, salute, and swap with their mates in the guard box. (sorry for the spoiler :) )

If you want a proper guard change, then somewhere like Moscow or the India/Pakistan border are the places to go.

Edited: 25 September 2013, 16:40
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,617 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: distances

They do have trumpeters for the midday changing of the guard, but i must admit it is nothing spectacular. worth watching for the Guards coming down the hill towards the castle area,probably a better photo oppertunity than you will get at the gates.

Scotland
Level Contributor
363 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: distances

Have they changed the changing of the guards? I remember from previous visits it was quite a big show with about 20 marching down the hill. Lat visit I saw a smaller change about six pm: four and a sergeant ceremonially marched out from the inner courtyard to the gate. A shouty man with placards (I think he was making a point about continued repression?) was in front of the gates but he moved aside for the change, but resumed his place (and shouting) when it was done.

Prague, Czech...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: distances

You already have very good responses. you really should buy the tickets as soon, my friends missed out sometime. I would like to recommend further places to visit. Are you planing on staying in Prague and how many days have you got on your Itinerary