We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Duty Free

Carnoustie, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Duty Free

Is it cheaper to buy duty free, tobacco and alcohol, at Edinburgh or Prague?

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,305 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Duty Free

There is no duty free within Eu...but the cigarettes will definitely be cheaper (3x) in Prague than in the Uk...alcohol is not that cheap, although probably cheaper too.

The cigarette prices are state controlled, so cost the same wherever you buy them, not so for tobacco. If you are after something like Virginia Gold, then buy in town, don't wait for the airport shop.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 12:45
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,755 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Duty Free

at Edinburgh airport you can buy stuff and collect it onyour return (called Shop & Collect)I often buy whisky from the shop in Edinburgh airport beacuse the prices are pretty good and the range excellent.

Certainly prices for whisky and choice is better in Edinburgh.can't comment on other things.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Duty Free

Gus......my husband's thinking of doing that if he see's a deal on at Manchester airport. He's really into his whisky and he likes good stuff.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Carnoustie, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Duty Free

Thanks for the info, most appreciated.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Duty Free

fudge110>>>>>>>>> Cigarettes and tobacco are much cheaper in Prague. Buy cigarettes at Prague Airport as they are the same price as in Prague but a better choice especially international brands. Don't buy rolling tobacco at the airport as it is much cheaper to buy in Prague.

Here is a quote from me on a similar topic -

'For cigarettes, I would buy at the airport, as they are the same price as in Prague. There is a good choice, especially international and some UK brands. With Prague airport, you can visit the duty free shop after you land. The best duty free shops for choice of cigarettes are just before the passport control.

I usually buy Golden Virginia from the Kiosk in the middle of Namesti Republiky. It's at the end of Na Porici (street), in front of Unicredit bank. He speaks some English, and has plenty of stock at prices much cheaper than airport.'

And this is the topic it's from which may be helpful -

tripadvisor.co.uk/…51062721

Edited: 06 October 2013, 20:51
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Carnoustie, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Duty Free

Thanks for that. Golden Virginia was the one we were worried about. Can now relax on two Xmas presents.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Duty Free

Yes, GV is available both at the airport and in town. The kiosk in the middle of Namesti Republiky is a good place to buy and a fair bit cheaper than airport. It is available in other tobacconists, but I'm not sure how widely it is available.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 20:34
plymouth
Level Contributor
146 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Duty Free

Hi going to Prague for the first time in November. Could anybody let me know how much is golden virginia in town? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,305 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Duty Free

The last time it was mentioned, the price for 50g was between £6.50 - £7...circa half price of that in the UK

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
6,546 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Duty Free

How much allowance (tobacco) does one have? to bring back to the UK?