We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Bratislava

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Topic
Prague to Bratislava

I will be in Prague for a week in November, arriving on a Tuesday and leaving the following Monday. I'm considering taking a side trip to Bratislava and had some questions:

1. What is the most efficient (less connections) mode of transport: train or bus?

2. Does either the bus option or train option allow for getting off en route?

3. Is it worth an overnight stay in Bratislava, or can this be doable as a day trip (outbound and return on the same day)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
664 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague to Bratislava

1, Either way is fine. Bus would be cheaper.

2, You could not get off and continue later. In that case, you lose ticket and have to buy a new ticket.

3, Doable to do a day trip but better stay over night to enjoy!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague to Bratislava

I would take the train. It takes 4 hours and 8 minutes and trains leave every day at 7:39, 9:39 and 11:39. It costs 393 CZK each way if bought on https://www.cd.cz/eshop/ more than three days in advance. Your ticket is valid for 24 hours, although your seat reservation is not. So you can get off for a few hours in, say, Brno, and then get back on the train and use the same ticket (but you will need a new reservation if you want a guaranteed seat).

I would also stay overnight. Bratislava can be "done" in an afternoon if you are continuing on to, say, Budapest, but it is a lot to go all the way to Bratislava and then back on the same day. Better to spend the night and stop somewhere like Brno on the way there or back.

The bus (Student Agency) is slightly cheaper (only 14 €) and takes about the same amount of time according to the schedule, but there is a lot of construction on the D1 highway, so the buses could be delayed.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague to Bratislava

Bratislava is ok for a couple of hours in the summer or in December for the Christmas market, but certainly not as a long 'side trip' from Prague in November. Most people will do it as a side trip from Vienna.

There are many more worthwhile places closer at hand, e.g. The aforementioned Brno, but again better in summer, and for a few days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
664 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague to Bratislava

I've visited Bratislava numerous times and it has been transforming to a big city with more vibrant scene. Better check yourself!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague to Bratislava

It has a great array of 1950's - 1970's architecture, which I personally quite like (check out the Istropolis ROH building, Slovensky Rozhlas, Nový most, hlavná stanica (main railway station - interesting mural in the main vestibule), SNP memorial, Tesco, etc., also a couple of functionalist villas of note and the Blue Church, but it isn't to everybody's taste. The centre itself is very small and nicely repainted, but I have little time for it, especially on a chilly day in November! By all means go and check it out.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague to Bratislava

Thank you all for your input and suggestions; very helpful indeed. Although now, I'm considering either one of these itineraries:

1) Prague-Bratislava-Vienna-Prague, or

2) Prague-Vienna-Bratislava-Prague

With the addition of Vienna, it will most likely involve an overnight stay somewhere (either Vienna or Bratislava).

Which of the above itinerary makes sense? Or should I do as GCEK suggested, Prague-Vienna-Bratislava (side trip)-Vienna-Prague?

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague to Bratislava

Another possibility if you are short on time is going from Prague to Budapest by night train, spending the day in Budapest, sleeping in Budapest, then coming back the next day during the day with a 3-4 hour stopover in Bratislava. I much prefer Budapest to Vienna.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,806 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague to Bratislava

I agree that Budapest has got more going for it, and your wallet will thank you.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague to Bratislava

I agree; Budapest is a beautiful city. I was there for four days in January 2012 and absolutely enjoyed the city. I'd love to go back but know that spending just a few hours on a return visit to Budapest would not do the city justice. I thought about an overnight trip to Vienna from Budapest, but in the end, decided to just stay in Budapest the entire time. This will be my first visit to Prague (and Vienna and/or Bratislava), so I'm exploring ways to see if I can see all three cities in this one trip. As always, so many places to see, so little time!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
230 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague to Bratislava

If you had to choose between Bratislava and Vienna, which one would you stay overnight in, if on a Prague-Vienna-Bratislava-Prague itinerary?