We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to fill an afternoon in November...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
How to fill an afternoon in November...

I'm going to be in Prague on Friday and have the afternoon to myself. I've done most of the tourist attractions. I'm not a big museum or gallery person. I just want to do something with my afternoon that doesn't feel like a waste.

Perhaps an area to explore. I like markets. I want to stay central.

Any ideas? Just keep me occupied for four hours!

Thank you.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
758 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

Hi! Discover the New Town, especially the Wencesslas square and Lucerna Palace. There is hanging upside down horse, which is a fun contemporary statue by David Cerny. Furthermore you can find there a few lovely local shops, an old-fashion cinema, a great cinema cafe, Lucerna Music bar...etc. Then you can take a metro from Mustek to Namesti Jiriho z Podebrad and visit the TV tower which will give you unusual views over the city of Prague.

Enjoy your stay! Maya

www.lucerna.cz/home.php?switchlanguage=CZ

http://www.towerpark.cz/en

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

Thank you. I know the Old Town quite well already - but haven't been to Lucerna Palace - and have done the TV Tower.

praha
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

Have you walked on the walls of Vysehrad?

Have you been to little Hanoi?

expats.cz/prague/…

The Holesovice markets?

The zoo?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

exploring/walking in Letna Park

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

Thank you for the ideas.

I have walked besides the walls of Vysehrad. On them would be far too scary.

I haven't been to Little Hanoi. While it looks great and is just the sort of place I love I'd rather try and keep it Czech and keep it closer to the centre. On this short trip.

The Holesovice markets look interesting. Will it be easier and quicker to get there on the Metro or tram?

Being that it's November I am less interested in the zoo.

Letna Park is an appealing idea. I would like to see a bit more of the Jewish Quarter as well and could then nip over a bridge. I can pick the tram up to Holesovice from the top of the park as well so I could do both.

praha
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

Tram 14 stops right at the entrance to the Holesovice markets and you can catch it at Masarykovo Nadrazi, but there is a heavy Vietnamese presence there if you want to keep things Czech.

You can explore Jewish area, move towards the area of Convent of St Agnes, quaint quite area which I like, then move towards tram 14.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

Thank you.

It's not that I'm wanting to avoid anything non-Czech but I'm not looking to visit an ethnic enclave. Are you saying Masarykovo Nadrazi has a high Vietnamese presence or Holesovice?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,850 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

Little Hanoi and Holesovice are not worth the effort...a lot of cheap merchandise

Little Hanoi would only be good for homemade pho or other Vietnamese dishes

there is a Jewish cemetary at the base of the Zizkov TV tower..(another option the tower and the cemetary)

Letna Park will have some beer kiosk if you want to enjoy a brewski....nice overlook of the center of Prague

always enjoy a visit to Olsany cemetary at Flora Metro...modern day Jewish cemetary beyond that area..

Edited: 20 November 2013, 11:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,167 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

Thank you.

I have already ruled out a visit to Little Hanoi and have been to the Zizkov TV Tower before.

I don't drink beer but that won't stop me visiting the park. And I will look into the cemetery you mention.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,549 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to fill an afternoon in November...

For Jewish cemetery, get off at metro stop Jana Zelivskeho........Franz Kafka is buried there

androom.home.xs4all.nl/biography/p000487.htm