We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does Prague have to offer?

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
What does Prague have to offer?

Hi, I was wanting to suprise my mum for her birthday, with a long weekend somewhere. I have some airmiles saved up, and it seems my best choice of cities are Prague, Munich and Zurich. I know she'd be happy anywhere.

Which do you recommend? Come on Prague, sell yourself to me!!

We'd be visiting in February [snow would be nice], safe for two females to walk around, reliant on public transport, preferably though would just walk everywhere, not interested in museums, interested in local food, architectural, scenic walks, observation views/decks, and the things that make that city great.

Does any city have anything special going on? We'd be there around the 20th Feb...

Any particular city which has cheaper hotel rates than others?

Thanks... :)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

Why Zurich? It is a good centre for high finance and business, with prices to match. It is not really representative of Switzerland, either - No mountains, for a start. Otherwise perfectly ok place.

Munich is a big grand modern city.

Whether either of then is in the same league as Prague depends on what you like. Most people would plump for Prague for this sort of thing; there must be a reason for that :)

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

I don't see Munich or Zurich on this list (or many others, for that matter):

www.cnn.com/2013/11/25/travel/winter-cities

Really, it is no competition. Unless you need to access those Swiss bank accounts of yours, Zurich can't hold a candle to Prague. And as GCEK said, Munich is a big, modern city. If that's what you want, go to London. It is closer. Prague offers something special, something unique. Plus it is a LOT cheaper than the other two places you mentioned.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,778 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

Prague is Old Europe. It is mostly original; not having been destroyed in WW2. It is a fairy tale city- there's a castle on a hill, a river, town squares. 14 styles of classical architecture can be found- my favorite being Rococo. The food is good, the people are friendly. It is a compact city, so seeing a lot of attractions is easy. It is also safe, relatively inexpensive and clean.

Oh, and English is the second language in the center.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 06:13
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,656 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

check out videos on youtube

read a guide book such as Lonely Planet

5. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2014, 14:01
Manchester
Level Contributor
554 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

Nover been to Zurich. If I were going Swiss, I'd choose Basel. Munich is nice, but not all that special to be honest. Prague however is amazing, it's the sort of place you'll keep returning to and there is always something new to discover. Public transport is cheap and easy to use, but you can easily walk between most places. And you have a decent chance of snow :)

praha
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

Prague is an Architectural gem and with incredible gothic architecture, Baroque, and even cubist style.

One of the most picturesque towns I have ever seen. There's a special atmosphere about this town, for some people it may be mystical, or bohemian. Prague has an incredible history which shows as you walk around the town. Also public transport is one of the best I have experienced.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,538 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

I agree with GCEK and Laura about Munich but didn't dare say it as bluntly on Munich forum!

We have visited many cities in Germany and were not particularly impressed by Munich as a whole, although the Residenz and the Pinakotheken were fantastic (but you don't want museums!). Munich like most larger cities was badly bombed so much of the centre is post-war reconstruction , some old-style, some modern.

That city-break was actually booked specifically to go to the opera, having been to Munich once we'll not be hurrying back. I have been to Prague theree times, on our honeymoon in 1991 (which also included Vienna, an option you haven't mentioned), for a week in 2000 with our son, and then I was back there in 2010 and was bowled over again, I'd forgotten how magical it is. None of these visits was in February but my brother has visited Prague in February and was enchanted by it too.

adding on to what PrahaBohemian has just written: there's some spectacular art nouveau architecture in Prague too

Edited: 27 November 2013, 10:04
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,796 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

I like Munich - it just isn't Prague ... they can't be compared. Munich is great in the summer as you can just chill out in the Englischer Garten with a beer and a Schweinshaxe.There are some great museums and shopping, if you are into that. As with all of central Europe, it can be chilly in February.

But as is my wont, I'm going to put in a plug in for the Czech Republic's finest city, Brno :) tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274714-i1153-k6… - there are cheap direct flights with Wizzair from Luton.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What does Prague have to offer?

Thanks for the help guys, it seems Prague is the prefered option. I like the sound of Munich the summer though.