We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice

Hahndorf
Level Contributor
10 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice

Hi fellow travellers,

I am so excited that this year my long time dream of coming to Prague is going to be realised. I am new to these forums so forgive me in advance if I ramble. I love Christmas time and the celebration. On our trip we want to go to the Danube Valley, Salzburg and Vienna and spend quality time in Prague. Attend Christmas markets, concert, Christmas eve service, sleigh ride and hopefully experience a white Christmas. Should we stay in Prague over Christmas or is it better to go before (or after)? I am worried places might be shut or tooo busy?? One thought we had was to go the week before Christmas to Prague and spend Christmas in eg the Grossarl Valley? What do you experienced, knowledgeable travellers think? It's early days but we are trying to get our thoughts together. This is only the 2nd time we have come to Europe and have never travelled to these areas. Kind Regards Sharon from Hahndorf (where there is NEVER any snow!)

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,830 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice

in general, there has not been a white Christmas in Prague for several years.

I might add Dresden Germany as a day trip from Prague (2hours north of Prague via train) for their Christmas markets-one of the oldest in all of Europe.

germany-christmas-market.org.uk/dresden_chri…

The closer to Christmas the more crowded each weekend becomes . I've experienced all 3-Prague, Dresden and Vienna. All three are very crowded but I think that Vienna can be the worst crowds/buses leading up to Christmas. All 3 have different aspects but all have great atmosphere...for me, it is about the sounds, sights, tastes etc. Crafty type shopping is not my thing but I'd have to say that Vienna is the best for trinkets/ornaments etc.

yes, for winter activites you might have a better chance in the mountains in Austria. +1 for Salzburg-the town itself you only need 2 days- Sound of Music tours/sites if you're a fan. Other can chime in regarding actual winter activities.

2. Re: Seeking advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2015, 06:19