We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Podkovan Beer

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Podkovan Beer

found some Czech lager in Morrisons £1/500ml 3.8%. brewed at the Podkovan brewery, not tried it yet but will do tomorrow once it is nicely chilled.anyone had any experience of beers from Podkovan as i certainly can't remeber ever having any.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,840 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Podkovan Beer

http://www.podkovan.cz/index.html

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Podkovan Beer

Wow, talk about a blast from the past. I haven't had a Podkovan in at least 15 years. Will have to find one and drink it for old times' sake.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Podkovan Beer

looking at the website that Tilly supplied seems they only started brewing again in 2011.I will sample it tonight at let you know what I think.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Podkovan Beer

Yup. I knew they closed down but didn't know they started brewing again. In any case, it wasn't very good in the past. Maybe their new technology will improve the product. Let me know how it is.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Podkovan Beer

Will be pouring it in about 5 hours once I get home from work

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,840 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Podkovan Beer

Seems to be majority owned by an Austrian with a very Russian name...Aleksandr Denisov (simples)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Podkovan Beer

well I have poured it and drank about half the glass,it does not pour well ,very slightly cloudy looking and very little head.First taste was not impressive and second even less so.Not a beer full of body and flavour, pretty insipid and at £1 a bottle overpriced in my opinion.I have another in the fridge that I will have later but doubt i will be going back to Morrisons to buy any more.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Podkovan Beer

Thanks for the review. Sounds like one to steer clear of. I'll stick with the Staro, Budvar and Pilsner that's available in morrisons and most other supermarkets.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Podkovan Beer

drank the second one and i suppose it was ok but nothing special now going to have a Budvar and see what i think in comparison.

BTW thanks for that hotel reccommendation i think we will try and book it.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,840 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Podkovan Beer

if there is a choice between Budvar and Pilsen..then my husband will have a Budvar.