We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

I was traveling around Europe recently and decided to purchase a bus ticket to go from Budapest to Prague overnight, and checked the orangeways company. On their website they advertise these great buses with all the amenities etc etc.

ITS A SCAM!

We (me and my boyfriend) got to the departing train station at 10:00 PM and the bus was supposed to leave at 11, it got there late and the bus that arrived was completely different from what is advertised on their page, it was an old piece of junk which was not even orange! It was a white bus, with no sing whatsoever that they were from orange ways, the bus had no AC on it and being winter and past 11 PM it was cold! Really cold the windows on the bus got wet and I got cold water all over my coat. The bus had no light on the hall so you would trip with anyone and anything on the way in...

The seats on that thing were awful, we had to spend 8 hours sitting in an old seat with no cushioning whatsoever and the seats were so tiny you could feel the knees of the person sitting behind you all over your back.

But that is not even the worst of it, there were 2 chauffeurs on the bus and apparently none of them spoke English or refused to do so, and were incredibly rude not only to me, but to every passenger that asked them if they were the bus going to Prague, they did not respond and ignored us or simply babbled a few words in what I assume was Hungarian (given the location). Everyone was so confused as I was, since I am sure we were all expecting a different bus and a different treatment, so no one was sure which bus was the one, if those people were the correct people, etc. They sent several of us to other buses just to get rid of us for a while, and eventually after we came back asking them again after carrying all our luggage around they told is in a very rude manner that yes they were the bus going to Prague.

I felt like cattle, there was no respect for the seats assigned, they did not even check any ones passports on the way in, they handled the luggage as if it was junk....

And to make matters worst, both drivers (which took turns to drive) drove horribly, they were extremely fast and the bus bumped to every single imperfection on the highway and we jumped around like crazy.

Eventually around 4 am they stopped on some kind of border check which was a horrible building in the middle of nowhere surrounded by empty lots and demanded (because believe me, they did not request anything in a kind matter) everyone to get off the bus and take their passports out.

It was cold, we were all tired and honestly, everyone looked pretty scared. The immigration officers were not nice at all and we did not even knew where we were, to this day I don't know what border that was and for a moment there I felt like I was going to be sent to God knows where, it seemed like a horrible movie or a bad dream. it was horrible. A truly horrible experience.

I would recommend you to either look for different options (the eurolines buses that were also stopping on the terminal I was in Budapest looked MUCH better) or just pay the extra cash and go by train or plain, whatever you want, but avoid this company at all costs.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

There is no border check between Budapest and Prague.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Prague
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

Rawlee, that was my first thought too because it is in the Schengen zone but they still can happen especially busses. Often checks between Czech Republic and Germany

praha
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

This is not the first time this topic comes up

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k663…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k3296…

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

Thanks for the information.

I wish I had read those entries before booking with those people.

Anyways, hope my story is useful for other travelers even if the topic came up before ;-)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,895 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

Orangeways acts as an agent on various routes, this being one of them, but in any case it doesn't get the best of reviews.

This bus would cross the Slovak and Czech borders as well, but I haven't seen any immigration officers on either border for years - especially not the one near Břeclav which you would have crossed at 4 in the morning, I have driven across that one many many times and I've never seen anybody manning it since 2004 - and once you are in the Schengen area you are presumed to have 'immigrated' so it would have been a police ID check, not immigration. But that wouldn't have been the bus company's fault - the only thing I can think of is that this bus originates in Sofia (Bulgaria) and they were looking for something/somebody. Bulgarians come quite far down the food chain, the further west you go.

For anybody else reading this, if you want to travel this route overnight it is best to use the train - from €29 in a couchette or €39 in a sleeper from http://www.mav-start.hu/english/index.php . The likelihood of ID checks is minimal to non-existent, and you get a bed to sleep in.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

We were waiting in the street, cold, without explanation, for 16 hours

malacca, malaysia
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

Appreciate your story as we will be travelling from Budapest to Prague also. We may use train instead.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
39,062 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

Train is the best option on this route.

Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

Hey! We are trying to book the night train from Budapest to Prague by czech-transport but they said they have to send the tickets to an adress, I mean there is no possibility of e-tickets. Is this correct? Or are we missing something?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
39,062 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BEWARE!!! Orangeways busses from Budapest to Prague

Ask on Budapest forum...I have no idea how Mav works....Czech transport is a reseller, they could probably sell you tickets from Buenos Ayres to Tierra del Fuego...don't bother with them. go to Hungarian railways website.