We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Villages...
Level Contributor
66 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing

A friend and I (2 active senior ladies) will be taking a river cruise in late August. We are arriving in Prague on a Thursday morning (9:15 a.m.) after flying all night from Orlando, Fl through Frankfurt.

On Saturday the cruise company (Uniworld) included either a city tour or a tour of the Josefov district.

I am looking for advice on how to best spend our limited time in the city.

I'm sure on Thursday we will not be looking for a long or very active day, but we would like to plan some activity. Friday we will have all day.

Any suggestions on what to do on our own, any possible tours and what to choose for Saturday would be greatly appreciated.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,781 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing

I like organized tours; I still go on them after visiting Prague every 6 months for a week for the past 2 years. I have been on guided tours from the 3 main tour agencies in Prague and assume Uniworld will be booking through one of them. My favorite is Gray Line, but I have enjoyed all the tours I have been on through the other companies, as well. The Krizik’s fountain show is a favorite of mine. I'd catch the fountain show on Thursday and the city tour on Friday.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,677 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing

By chance do you know yet where you will be staying?

Part of the joy of Prague is meandering around the side streets in the center. Prague is one of the safest cities of its size..you should have no problem walking around.

You can always decide to join a walking tour in Old Towne to get basic history and info..you can return to the things that interest you. As mentioned, you can join more formal or lengthy tours.

If you prefer on your own, my suggestion is to get a guide book or print out from the Internet.... to maximize your day, find tram 22 that goes up the hill to the castle area. This will save your calves and energy. Go two stops beyond the castle and you will be at Strahov Monestary and near Loretta. It would all be downhill from here.... If you decide, you could do one fail swoop from Strahhov, to the castle (return to the main entrance) make your way down the street, cut across at ST. Nicholas church, continue on to Charles Bridge, then on to Old Towne and then make your way to Vaclav Square...simply follow the human ant trails.

Or you may decide to break up your visit and take a day to meander on each side of the river.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing

If you decide to do the tours on your own, a good tips are:

praguewelcome.cz/en/…

PIS service can find a local guide for you.

The Villages...
Level Contributor
66 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing

I do like organized tours if they are in smaller groups. But I also like roaming around if I have an itinerary and plan.

Uniworld's city tour mentions the State Opera House, Wenceslas Square, Charles Brigde, Dancing House, Prague Castle and the Old Town Square.

We are staying at the Boscolo Hotel

The Villages...
Level Contributor
66 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing

My travelling companion seems to be leaning toward organized tours.

If we do the city tour on Saturday with Uniworld and the fountain show on Thursday, what tour should we look at for Friday?

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing

I think, part of your tour will be by the bus (Wenceslas Square, State opera) + walking.

Wait with your decision after that tour. You will have better idea about your priorities.

There are a lot of places in Prague, you cannot see everything during one half (?) day tour which can show you just the main places.

Bet regards H.

7. Re: Sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 06:19