We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

disappointing

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
disappointing

I have been in Prague for my 4th day now. I came in from Greece, (Samos and Santorini) and Kusadasi Turkey...I had a wonderful time at each location. I wanted to save the best for last, Prague.

Although the town is beautiful with lots to see (castles, cathedrals, Charles bridge, jewish cemetery, ect...) the people here are not too friendly. I've read a post by a lady from yesterday and she said 'friendly people' I nearly chocked. I'm at an internet cafe right near the national museum now. It's not so friendly here...and that's hard for me to say, being I've been to so many different places in the world I always try to keep a postive attitute and open mind. I always smile and try to extra generous (we call this giving Aloha in Hawaii, which is where I'm from). But I'm not alone...An American girl I met the other day who arrived the same afternoon has the same feeling, so did a man from England who was staying in the room next to me.

Don't let this discourage you from coming...again I think Prague is beautiuful and I think everyone should have the opportunity to visit such a unique city. However, don't expect the people to be as nice as they are in other parts of Europe (more west).

WA
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: disappointing

@surfer201,

I think you are correct. Had similar impressions. Something is not right with the place. Enjoyed Germany, Austria & Poland much more!

One of my customer's partner is a CZ woman, I listened carefully to her about what she had to say about her country and its neighbours. Very interesting, but beyond this forum and topic. I won't be back in a hurry.

On a bright note, all you Prague lovers, have a good time!

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: disappointing

I had read a post similar to this before we left for Prague and was expecting to meet the unfriendly Czech peoiple. But we were pleasantly surprised during our 3 day trip to Prague and 2 day trip to Cesky Krumlov. The people we encountered in our hotels and in restaurants were very pleasant. Keep in mind that many people in the Czech republic are unable to speak English unlike some other European countries like Germany and Austria. The Czech people do seem more reserved than Americans like you and me. In the States we are used to striking up conversations with total strangers in public places. But I didn't see this reserve as unfriendliness. Also, those who could speak English were very willing to give us directions when asked. All in all, we totally enjoyed our visit to the Czech Republic.

P.S. Hawaii is on our agenda for next summer. Aloha.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: disappointing

I guess some people have different experiences.

And perhaps it's because I'm a single male (28yr) traveling alone.

I'm sure if you travel with a loved one, you won't notice it as much as traveling alone.

Making a documentary on all the countries I've been to, I'll send the link to my prague experience in a few weeks (editing takes forever!!)

but who knows..I have another day here, renting a bike tomorrow, maybe things will turn around completely...I'll keep a postive attitude and post tomorrow.

By the way, the black light show at the theater was pretty interesting. It was called WOW Black Light Theater.

Nutley, New Jersey
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: disappointing

There's no guarantee, but I found that many Czech locals definitely appreciated it when we made some attempt to exchange pleasantries in their language. I'm talking: Please, thank you, hello and goodbye. Nothing fancy.

I tried to put myself in their place, and really appreciated the fact that there are so many places around the world that I can visit and find local people who can speak to me in my language: English... It's amazing, considering what a hard time a Czech visitor to the US would have if they knew no English. In addition, I found it easier to accept their cultural norms a little better while learning their (even recent) history. Maybe you can just chalk it up to part of the tourist experience.

By the way, we visited Maui last year and had an amazing time. It was some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen!! I can understand your culture-shock, because you come from one of the most friendly places on earth! It was very hard to leave... I couldn't get enough of the 'Aloha'. Mahalo! (Sp?)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: disappointing

I'm not agree with surfer....we found Czechs very friendly...much friendlier than in Germany...if they even don't understand you, they are trying to help... For example, in C. Krunlov one old lady without understnding me ( I sjould here address and name of the pension) was walking with me about 20 minutes and found this place...

Yesm they don't tell 'Hi' to everyone they meet , but they are a good people...

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: disappointing

.... just returned yesterday from long weekend in Prague and agree with surfer201 post. beautiful city, intriguing history but lacking somewhere i cant totally put my finger on. Shame for Prague that on every street pretty much there is graffiti. What toad has to do that hey, it spoils the otherwise stunning architecture. I was quite shocked by that. We stayed at the Ibis Old Town and were suprised at all the building work going on both around and in the street, this went on 24/7 while we were there. Im sure this probably clouded our initial judgement of the city. It was damp, grey and murky while we were there, but if it had been hot like it has been the last few weeks we would have found the building work unbearable.

UK
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: disappointing

Hi

I just returned from Prague today after spending 5 days with my family (husband + 3 kids) and I have to agree with what has been written above. People are not friendly - simple etiquettes such as "thank you" were hardly witnessed. Instead we were looked upon with strange curiosity (maybe because my daughter and I wear a muslim head scarf?!) but it was hugely annoying. However, the city was beautiful and of course historical - and overall we did enjoy our stay.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
167 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: disappointing

Prague is like everyone. People are different, some happy, some grumpy. We met some very delightful shop keepers, and some grumpy waitors. Our conclusion is that Europians are more guarded about showing emotions.

Yorkshire, England
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: disappointing

I absolutely agree! Our family invented a game called 'first to make a waiter/waitress smile' - it was quite a challenge. My husband has worked in Prague and says that most people are friendly but they don't use facial expressions (smiles) in the same way that other people do!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: disappointing

We were in Prague a few months ago and absolutely loved it! We found the Czechs to be very helpful and pleasant but they seem to be quieter, more reserved people by nature. There are sooo many tourists in Prague though and we found everybody seemed so happy to be there - as we were. Enjoy this beautiful place if you are lucky enough to be going.