We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GCEK - Question

New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
GCEK - Question

GCEK

I followed your helpful instructions on booking train tickets from Prague to Vienna. I am trying to buy two 1st class tickets on the 10:39 train on May 21, but when I enter the information it only allows me to buy 2nd class tickets. Could all the 1st class tickets be sold out already or are there no 1st class seating on this train?

Thank you again.

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GCEK - Question

I can answer your question, as I have a lot of experience with the Czech rail website and this routing.

On my last trip (about six weeks ago) I also wanted to buy 1st class, because the 2nd class was soooooo cheap, and usually the 1st class is a 50% surcharge. After not being able to buy it, I wrote directly to Czech rail and asked them about this.

They told me that only 2nd class is available for sale on their web site. If one wants to buy 1st class, one must buy it directly from the ticket counter at the train station in Prague. Since the 2nd class was so cheap, I purchased it once again (it was about KC 500 (equivalent of 19 Euros!). The price for a 1st class ticket is about KC 2500.

The interesting thing is that if you start your trip in Vienna, you can buy either 1st or 2nd class in the Austrian rail web site. However, the price for even the 2nd class ticket is more expensive than the price in the Czech rail web site.

So, ride second class, and you'll see it is quite comfortable.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
39,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GCEK - Question

Castleblanca is correct, on line on this route from Czech railways, you can only buy 2nd class...

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GCEK - Question

Just to confirm the price from the Austrian rail web site, I just went to it.

Second class is as low as 29 Euros, and first class is as low as 39 Euros.

However, those seats are limited, and the price jumps ten Euros at a time, as the allotment is sold out.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GCEK - Question

Castleblanca

Thank you for the quick response. Strange they don't let you buy 1st class on their website. So the seats in 2nd class are decent for a 4 and a half hour ride? I can't tell whether the 10:39 train is direct to Vienna or makes stops along the way.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
39,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GCEK - Question

all trains on that route make stops..this one Antonin Dvorak stops at 5 stations

Pardubice

Ceska Trebova

Brno

Breclav

Vienna Simmering

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,896 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GCEK - Question

Seeing as all your train queries have been answered :) get the bus - 1st class equivalent, and has wi-fi, steward service, in-seat movies ... Only €18 www.studentagency.eu - and much easier if you have luggage

bus: studentagency.cz/jizdenky/videa/index.html

train: vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…P1010005.jpg (2nd) vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…DSCF1149.jpg (1st)

Edited: 26 March 2014, 11:10
7. Re: GCEK - Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 05:16