We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using credit card in Praha

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Using credit card in Praha

I am going to Praha in late June and I am planning to use credit card as more as possible instead of paying cash.

1. Does it need any extra fee if paying by credit card? Since in some countries paying by credit card will charge some extra fee?

2. Is it fine to pay for admission fee of Buda castle by credit card?

Thanks.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,368 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using credit card in Praha

Buda castle is in Budapest

Mentioned in this post
Buda Castle
Buda Castle
6,387 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,470 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using credit card in Praha

IMO better to pay everyday items will local currency....save your credit card for larger purchases, nicer dinners.

Regardless, let your bank know that you're traveling abroad whether it be your debit or your credit card or both.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 13:00
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
18,470 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using credit card in Praha

if purchasing some ticket of some sort, pull out your card so it is visible in your hand at the time of your request..... some clerks have throw a small hissie if they have rung you up and you whip out your card after the fact....for ex. train ticket window is the prime example

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using credit card in Praha

Tilly41,

Oh yes it should be Praha Castle. Typo mistake.

All,

Thanks. I know paying for large amount by credit card maybe more suitable. Just I found my bank provides discount when purchasing overseas therefore the total cost will be lower than paying by cash. I am also thinking if paying for small amount by credit card will be so embarrass .

praha
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using credit card in Praha

about extra fees, usually not when you just pay with the card.

If you use it for taking cash out then your bank will quite likely put on some fees, cash advance fee, currency conversion fee.....check with your bank

Edited: 02 April 2014, 14:50
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using credit card in Praha

you will pay a charge for withdrawing cash but swiping is usually free. Please note that most 'local' pubs/restaurants won't take cards, most 'nicer' establishments in the centre do. The majority of tourist sites you would visit would accept card as well.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,368 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using credit card in Praha

you will pay a charge for withdrawing cash but swiping is usually free...really? you can't 'swipe' a cash point you need a pin

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,275 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using credit card in Praha

I'm surprised that your bank offers a discount for purchasing overseas. Usually there is a foreign currency transaction fee. I know that I have to pay a 3% charge on all purchases not in USD when using my American credit card. Are you sure the discount isn't just a way to lessen the blow of the fee?

But otherwise, it is perfectly fine to use your credit card for all purchases, large and small, provided the place takes cards. I myself almost never use cash. But be aware that the US is a decade or so behind Europe when it comes to technology. You will get funny looks when you tell them that you have to swipe and then sign instead of having a chip card and using a PIN. In fact, more and more transactions here are contactless, meaning you don't even take your card out of your wallet but just hold it near the terminal.

If you plan to travel to other countries, be sure to check whether you can pay without having a PIN. In Denmark, for example, they don't sign at all. If you don't have a card with a PIN, you can't use your card (as I found out the hard way on a recent trip there).

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Denmark
Denmark
Europe
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using credit card in Praha

Tilly.... I mean swiping in restaurants, shops, for tickets...... you can use a credit card without withdrawing cash :)

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using credit card in Praha

Yes I have checked it clearly and I have really tried in other countries before. Mine is Citibank. But I am not sure if this promotion end later.