We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

This USED TO BE a reliable company.

1) After being picked up from the airport, I was given an unwanted guided tour of Prague, and arrived at my hotel in the centre, at a cost of 1,750 crowns. I noticed the meter jumping very quickly (200 crowns in 2 seconds) at various points of the journey, which showed that the driver has a special switch to increase it.

After arriving at the hotel, and seeing the bill, I asked for a receipt, knowing that what the driver did was illegal, and I could chase him later. Unfortunately, after scanning the receipt to AAA, and about 15 emails promising me of a refund, nothing has come of it after 2 months. What makes it worse is the number of emails and promises sent to me from their head office, to which I had to reply to and waste my time.

2) I was handed a discount coupon at the airport for a return journey by AAA, so I thought that I would give them another chance, and I booked a taxi 12 hours before my flight, for 7.30am, using their app. I received a confirmation at 7am that the taxi was on its way.

At 7.25 I got a message saying that the driver would be 10 minutes late. At 7.45 I received a message stating that the taxi driver has cancelled.

I then hailed a taxi on the street, but he told me that the coupon would not be valid, as I haven't ordered the taxi, but am catching it on the street.

I arrived at the airport after another guided tour of Prague, 45 MINUTES LATER, paid 1,275 crowns, and MISSED MY FLIGHT.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Even hotel taxis (which are horendously expensive) work out to be more honest, and cheaper.

usa
Level Contributor
412 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

Wow, sorry to hear to you got ripped off coming and going. Maybe a person's best bet would be to pre-arrange a pickup with a transer company before arriving in Prague. That way you can comparison shop and at least know up front what you are paying. Most cities have a flat rate that taxis charge from the airport to the city center. I guess Prague isn't one of them?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

That's pretty expensive. I take the hotel limo service and get meet and greet service and a ride in an E-Class Mercedes for only 990czk...

I've never had issues with taxis, though, even ones I have flagged down on the street, but I'm somewhat large and intimidating looking and speak a bit of Czech...

Just like anywhere, I am sure there are taxi scams in Prague, but I imagine they are quite rare.

praha
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

scams have been rare for this firm which has built its reputation over many years so I wonder what is going there, not long ago there was another incident where a customer actually filmed an AAA driver manipulating the meter, are the owners loosing control of the business....

I will contact them to ask what is going on with them, actually the more people who do the better.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

I thanks. The story is worse than I have written. A guy called David has been messing me about and giving me the run around about an investigation.

This had actually wasted my time even more and has been more annoying than the actual incident.

Malta
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

AAA does guarantee money back. As in this case AAA checked GPS of the car and recalculated price.

-AAA found receipt 734Czk (not 1750Czk as claimed above) to be +212 CZK overpriced as it should be.

-AAA apologized to customer with promise of returning money (full trip cost).

-Unfortunately driver didnt send money as he was in hospital.

As soon as AAA found out about it it apologized to customer again and sent money directly from its company account immediately. AAA also changed internal return money policy to returning money directly not by driver.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

Simply not true. Just read the other other reviews on Google maps about AAA, and see what other are saying. Everyone is having problems.

No money returned. Just promises and lies for over 1 month now.

7. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 10:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

Thank you, thank you, thank you TRIP ADVISOR. After reading this forum (and my other posts on the internet) I received my refund today, after fighting for 1 month.

Trip Advisor, I am grateful to you!

Malta
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

AAA solved your issue before your complaint on Tripadvisor.

Its easily to be confirmed by checking bank transfer details where you can see it was issued 10.4.2014 day after you complained to AAA about not receiving money.

As I informed you twice in our previous email conversations, bank transfer can take time and depends on several issues and takes from 2-7 days depending on country combination. This fact you overlooked and jumped into wrong conclusion :(

I would like to also ask you to amend particular false claims about your trip price total cost which are not consistent with your support emails/ complaint to AAA and differs 40 Euros with reality.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AAA Taxis - BEWARE. They are expensive, and they cheat

Not true. Why would I have bothered to complain, and then write the note thanking Trip Advisor for their help?

Anyway, other reviews on this website of AAA seem to agree with me.

I will not write again. I wanted the problem resolved, and writing on this forum seems to have done the jon.

Thank you Trip Advisor.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 12:09