We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report 4/15-4/17

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report 4/15-4/17

This was the perfect middle to a trip that spanned Bavaria and Vienna. We took the DB Bus from Munich without any trouble at all (though the border police did happen to check passports on our ride. No problems though).

Anyway we arrived at the train station and then took the metro to the Hotel 7 Angels on Jilska Street just south of Old Town Square. I really dug the look of the metro stations. I thought it was neat.

The hotel was nice and a very unique place to stay. It's also very unassuming and we had to spend a few moments figuring out what door to actually enter in.

Anyway, after that we just wandered. We obviously saw Old Town Square first and we didn't realize that the Easter Market was in full swing and it was HUGE. Lots of cool stuff to look at. We just wandered. We crossed the river on the bridge by the Rudolfinium and then made our way towards the Charles Bridge. We ducked in a store where my wife encountered, and became enamored with the Smaltum cups. We bought a couple for our nephews.

Then we ducked into the Wallenstein Gardens (not knowing what they were) and after about 15 minutes discovered it was full of peacocks! Again, this was a complete and wonderful surprise. After that, we crossed the Charles Bridge like proper tourists and made our way to dinner. I had tried to get us to a place called Lokal that looked fun but they were packed (and smoky which I normally don't mind but my wife is pregnant now so it's for the best). Instead we ended up at Dvou Sesters near our hotel and had a fine czech meal.

4/16

Got up and rode the metro to the Charles University Botanical Gardens, was quite nice and we really enjoyed the big exhibit on geology though most of the writing was in Czech.

We then took the number 18 tram back up to old town for lunch. We stopped in a shopping center and looked around a bit and enjoyed what was similar/different to home. Then the magic of prague stepped in and we somehow ended up back by our hotel without even trying. This was the second time that had happened and it wasn't the last.

That's something I love about the city is that despite the maze of streets it was still kind of hard to get lost.

We ate lunch at the U Prince Hotel. Very touristy and probably overpriced (I still am confused about the relative exchange rates between Dollars/Euros and Crowns, probably to Czech merchant's advantages but I didn't mind too much) but the Czech Plate I had was very good.

Then we hopped back on the 18 for the castle. Here was where we made a slight mistake. On my maps the stop near the castle for this line was pretty close but I was fooling myself. It was a pretty long and confusing at times walk from that stop and it would've been closer had we waited for the 22. Still we wandered around the castle and saw some of the important sites. Then my wife hung out/rested in a cafe and I went to the castle up along Nerudova street. It was a lovely but intense uphill walk.

I met my wife and we headed back across the river to see the jewish quarter. It was very quiet because it was passover but it was still nice to visit. Then we walked from Old Town Square to the Powder Tower and ate at a nice italian restaurant and I fell in love with Kozel's dark beer. I wish I could get some here at home. After that we bought some Trdlnik from the easter market stands and went to bed.

4/17 - This was a rough day. We just had an open ticket to Vienna and trains were packed! We skipped the 10:39 train but then had to wait for the 13:39. We spent the hours in the Burger King and listened to dance music from the 90's that we had forgotten about. The reason we had an open ticket was that I simply forgot to book that particular journey. The 13:39 train was pack as well and we rode in the bike storage area. It must've been a lot of people going home for the long weekend or something because once at Breclav the train emptied out and we got seats for the hour or so left to Vienna. Then again if we had booked seats then we may have had to argue with people who didn't understand that some seats were reserved and others weren't as we witnessed.

Overall, Prague was very cool and a stark contrast to both what we saw in Bavaria and Vienna. Definitely one of the most unique places I've ever been too. If you stick close to Old Town and Mala Strana it can feel very touristy (which I didn't mind, since I'm a tourist) but the whole area is so dense and compact that you can definitely get lost and found very easily and I thought that was wonderful.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,121 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report 4/15-4/17

Jilska is a nice street, very central...still not sure how you went wrong with tram 18? Not to worry though, as you said you can't really get lost.....thanks for the report and wish you all the best with the future new addition to the family....:and do come back one day.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report 4/15-4/17

We didn't go wrong exactly. I was just a little confused because it seemed like it was closer to the castle than it was. The only problem was a slightly longer walk than I was anticpating but everything turned out alright. Or maybe we got off too soon.

I loved riding the trams as well. I'm a public transit nerd and we're building some here locally so it was nice to actually try it out and get a feel for them.

Scotland
Level Contributor
195 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report 4/15-4/17

Enjoyed reading your report. Just wish I knew when I could book our trip. Soon hopefully.

4. Re: Trip report 4/15-4/17

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 06:15