We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

Level Contributor
75 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

We will be traveling from Munich to Prague December 26th and need suggestions as to most cost effective and efficient (time wise) for the 3 of us to travel between these two destinations. I look forward to the trip advisor community's help.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,605 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

Id go for the bus. It is comfortable and has direct service from city center to city center. You can get pretty cheap tickets if you buy ahead of time www.dbahn.de You can buy them starting 92 days ahead of uour travel, but you can look up schedules and prices by choosing dates closer to now - to get an idea of what you are looking at.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

just did the bus a few weeks ago to and from Munich...nice, newer buses...agree, purchase on line, print your confirmation number.

off season- the bus only had 7 passenges either way..had a double decker from Munich to Prague

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

FYI, the bus will arrive at the main train station in Prague. (not at the central bus station which is nearby)

Edited: 26 April 2014, 07:49
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

If you are travelling on 26/12 you won't be able to book until about November, or whenever the timetables for next year (which change Europe-wide in mid-December) are published and uploaded.

www.bahn.com , currently it costs from €29

Edited: 27 April 2014, 18:44
Singapore
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

Just to check, are the buses from Munich running several time a day or only at certain timings? I found an express bus, but it leaves at 7am. My flight arrives at only 7am.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

the answer to your question is yes

to be exact, you can check yourself..use the webpage above

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

If you don't like cramped buses on ugly motorways (I don't - I can read on a train as well as enjoying the scenery, but I get sick on a bus) you can buy train tickets from Munich to Prague by civilised direct train at www.cd.cz/eshop from just 19 euros.

You simply print your own ticket. This is actually cheaper than the downmarket long-distance bus, and only takes a little longer.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,978 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

Man in seat 61 some of your posts are not worth your good name.....you should think before posting rubbish.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

Man in seat 61, if the train were convenient from the Munich airport there would be no problem what so ever. The problems begin when you have to take the S-bahn into the city to the Hauptbahnhof. Granted there are a couple direct trains, one around 0900 the other about 1245. But one needs to clear customs or passport control then get to the S-bahn platform and the ride into the city, about 45 mins then one needs to figure in connection time at the hauptbahnhof. So add 2 hours straightaway to the 6 hour train ride to Prague and that is where the problem lies.

It is shorter to take the local bus over to Freising and then ride the regional train to Nuremberg. A non-stop bus is available from Nuremburg but for the train one must take another regional train to Schwandorf to connect to one of the trains from Munich ... nothing gained only time lost.

So now it comes back around to the best way on this route which is the bus. Do I really like the bus? No, and indeed first of March when we arrived back at the airport, yes there is a non-stop bus from Prague to the Munich airport departs 0655. It stopped under a covered roof area and was quite dark inside the bus, as I stepped out into the aisle I forgot there was about a foot drop down from the seating and I nearly broke my ankle! Arghh, as I had plenty of walking scheduled to pubs and such but I endured under great pain!

I truly wish there was a right proper ICE or EuroCity train scheduled on this route but the rails are not up to the task. And I'm sure the Germans and Czechs are not going to upgrade this route in my few remaining years of travel. So please understand on this route the train is NOT the best way. Whew, I'm not going to rant on this topic ever again! ;<{(

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

hi, shall appreciate information on Munich- Liberec Journey by bus or train with cost & time taken. thanks a lot.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Air, Train or bus from Munich to Prague?

A quick search yielded about 8 hours using the bus to Prague then local train via Turnov to Liberec and cost of 36€ each using the Savings Fare on the bus. A bit over 8 hours using regional trains via Hof & Dresden 89,10€ each. Also found 8 hours with ICE & regional trains via Nuremburg, Hof & Dresden 128,20€ each.

I know which one I would choose if it were me. ;<{)