We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

We are considering driving from Vienna to Prague in December to see the Christmas markets as well as visit both cities. Are there any markets worth stopping at on route, or any special ones worth a detour or day trip. I'm particularly interested in markets which have traditional hand crafted items.

Prague
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

Hello,

the biggest and most famous Christmas markets in Prague you can find on the Old Town square- which is situated in the historical part of Prague. There is a good possibility for tasting mulled wine and also for buying these hand crafted items.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

Bang in the middle of the two there is Brno which has a great Christmas market - it has improved immensely in recent years, and even goes underground in the medieval catacombs.

Here's a little flavour of last year http://www.brnenskevanoce.cz/en

It is worth a few days to escape the crush and expense of Prague and Vienna tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274714-i1153-k6…

It costs €8 by bus from Prague, and another €8 to Vienna - you can buy the bus tickets when you arrive.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

I suppose Salzburg would have atmospheric Xmas markets and if you have a car no problem getting there from Vienna and onwards to Prague..But watch the weather, if you can't drive in snow conditions, take public transport instead.

RI
Level Contributor
289 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

The Old Town market in Prague is a great scene, but most of the merchandise at the stalls is the same/similar mass merchandised goods. I've found more hand crafted items outside the center at the Namesit Miru and Andel markets, I especially like Andel.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

If you decide to travel to Prague, and if you travel by car, you should consider a day trip from Prague to the Ore mountains in Germany (~2h by car). They are Germanys Christmas country. Many tradition and all the handmade wooden Christmas toys come from there. There is a village, Seiffen, with nothing but Christmas shops.

Here is a good article:

startribune.com/lifestyle/…

And here a nice blog post about Seiffen:

creativelena.com/en/…seiffen-winter-fairytale

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

When exactly will you come here? I am asking because Christmas Markets (usually) close on December, the 24th (afternoon). Such markets are popular the weeks before Christmas, in Austria we also call this time "Adventszeit".

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

Hi, We would be there between the 16 - 22 December.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
14,967 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

Czech Markets are best for food and drink and the atmosphere.

Brno market is good and very laid back

Vienna is on a different level for sure

While in Prague, you can visit the Dresden Markets in Dresden Germany..one of the oldest in Europe...day trip, 2hr by train to Dresden..circa 1434

germany-christmas-market.org.uk/dresden_chri…

Edited: 02 May 2014, 08:22
9. Re: Christmas markets between Vienna and Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 05:16