We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cesky Krumlov

california
Level Contributor
818 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cesky Krumlov

Hi, We will be in Prague for 4 days this June . It will be our first time in Prague . We are undecided if We should do a daytrip to Cesky Krumlov or to Karlstjen castle. Thanks for Your suggestions.

praha
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cesky Krumlov

Both are very interesting and unique in their own way but its a different kind of thing. CK will be a looong day with 6 hours spent travelling in total.

Karstejn will be more relaxing in that sense.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cesky Krumlov

As the previous post said Cesky Krumlov is a long journey to do in one day. I would save it for a future visit and have a couple of nights there, it is definitely worth going.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cesky Krumlov

If you are only there for four days, then consider a day trip to Kutna Hora instead of spending 6 hours getting to and from Cesky Krumlov. The Karlstejn Castle is also nice, but better if combined with the Krivoklat Castle and/or the Ruckl glass factory in Nizbor.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cesky Krumlov

Agnes, I concur with others.

To a typical travel from outside of Europe who has 4 days to spend in the Czech Republic, I'd recommend spending them all in Prague. If you have 5 days or more, than you can spend time traveling in the Czech Republic outside of Prague. It is not that sights outside of Prague are not worth you time, it is that there is so much to see in Prague, and the sights outside of Prague probably do not outweigh the time, hassle and money of spending your time in Prague. But opinions vary.

But if you really want to get out of Prague, go to Kutná Hora (to the east), or Karlstejn (to the southwest). Jeff put out a nice short description of a 120 km route that hits both Karlstejn and Křivoklát (“the other K castle”, as my kids like to refer to it), which are considered by most Czechs to be the best two countryside castle to visit.

Český Krumlov is nice, but too expensive timewise for a day trip from Prague. Visit Český Krumlov either (1) if you have more time spend in the Czech Republic, say 7 days, or (2) if you are short on time but you are on the way between Prague and points south of the Czech Republic, like Saltzburg or Venice.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cesky Krumlov

Agnes, check out this post for a better description of the trip to the Karlstejn and Krivoklat castles. I think this is the best day trip from Prague.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274684-i94-k75035…

6. Re: Cesky Krumlov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 05:15