We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advices for my itinerary and transport in Czech republic

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
advices for my itinerary and transport in Czech republic

I will spend 5 days in Czech Republic in August

2 days Ceský Krumlov and 3 days in Prague

I will arrive CK from Vienna by train..I check it's around 50 euro for one person...if train is the best way?

and from CK to Prague..if it is better by bus..in term of convenience.and I heard about the train station in CK is far away from the city centre? and if by bus, if student agency is the best company?

and do you recommend other places than CK and Prague?

thanks a lot

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advices for my itinerary and transport in Czech republic

Go the Austrian rail website and check the price from Vienna to Summerau (the border station north of Linz). It can cost as little as 9 Euros.

Then go to the Czech rail website and check from Horni Dvorsite (the Czech border town about a kilometer north of Summerau. Check the price from Horni Dvorsite to Cesky Kumlov (change in Ceske Budejovice). It will be super cheap, also.

Both web sites will charge your credit card and e-mail you your tickets. You just print them out, at home or at your hotel in Vienna.

The only possible problem you will have is that you are not buying a trans-border ticket, and depending on the Czech conductor and his mood, he might charge you a couple Euros to cross the border from Summerau to Horni Dvorsite. Usually, I get away with it, and he doesn't charge me. However, even if he does, what are a couple Euros!

From CK to Prague you can either buy a rail ticket (change in Ceske Budejovice) or take a direct bus.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 17:05
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advices for my itinerary and transport in Czech republic

thanks for your detailed reply.

This may be an alternative way, but may I know how to get from Summerau to Horni Dvorsite? and how much does it cost?

thanks again

Florida
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advices for my itinerary and transport in Czech republic

You simply stay on the same train from Linz ---- it goes to Ceske Budejovice (and some go on to Prague).

As I said, Summerau is the little village on the Austrian side of the border, and Horni Dvorsite is the little village about 1 km. north, on the Czech side of the border.

As I said, sometimes the Czech conductor, who will get on the train in Summerau, will charge you something, and sometimes he lets it go by. It might cost a Euro or two. Simply hand him your ticket from Horni Dvorsite to Cesky Krumlov, and don't say anything. He'll either stamp it or he will ask for a "cross border" ticket, also. Then show him your ticket to Summerau and again "hope" he let's it slide. However, even if he doesn't, what are a couple Euros to cross the border? You already saved enough money to buy dinner in CK.

4. Re: advices for my itinerary and transport in Czech republic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 05:16