We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency exchange

toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
currency exchange

We are coming from Toronto to Prague,are ATM`s readily available to get Koruna`s there? Do our client cards work ok there? Im not sure if Canadian Banks here will exchange Canadian for Koruna`s. Cheers Dan

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: currency exchange

cad = euro 1.48, euro to krouna 27.41, effective cad to krouna 18.52

interbank rate is relevant for credit card transactions

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,533 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: currency exchange

we are not talking credit card transactions.....as said above, if you want to carry cash, might as well change your Cad dollars in Prague.....

Edited: 12 June 2014, 18:09
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: currency exchange

in my first post i gave a tip to the poster based on my experience of using credit card

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: currency exchange

Every time you change money, you pay a commission, either a % or hidden in a bad rate. The money changers need to make money, too. So if you change twice, then you pay twice the commission. Simple as that.

Best to use ATMs.

toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: currency exchange

Thanks everybody, when we travelled to France, Portugal, UK , Ireland we had a little of their currency when we landed and we just used ATM`s ..Good to know that the TD credit card works with no problem. Cheers Dan

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: currency exchange

Can anyone advise on costs in CZK please - coffee, pint of beer, cafe lunch. Thank you

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,830 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: currency exchange

@DLM you can eat rather handsomely if you are willing to get off the main tourist areas...

beer is cheaper than Coke!!

beer should not bee much more than 40kc..if so, you are paying tourist prices...coffee it depends, you can have from Starbucks or the local chain Costa Coffee to McDonald's McCafe.

Look at this menu...a reliable restaurant with some traditional meals. You can check the prices.

for ex. roasted duck about $15 USD, goulash $8, etc.

www.kolkovna.cz/en/kolkovna-celnice-13/menu

drink prices

www.kolkovna.cz/en/kolkovna-celnice-13/drinks

The further away you get away from the center, the cheaper it is.

some cheaper items...garlic or noodle soup, shredded cucumber salad, fried cheese with fries,

** when looking at posted menus, I gauge the prices according to the price of beer and soup.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,533 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: currency exchange

I've just come back from Sydney...and I can assure you that prices in Czech are about quarter of prices in Australia...except wine, that's unnecessarily expensive and not very good.

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: currency exchange

Thank you, you have been most helpful. Excited to learn beer costs less than coke .... Lucky I don't like Coke :)

20. Re: currency exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 05:16