We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

subway scam in Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
subway scam in Prague

Today I encountered a scam on my first visit to the subway of Prague. I want to disclose it to warn more tourists about the awful scenes you may be caught in Prague.

This afternoon I was heading for the subway station with my friend because we want to find the transportation directions. We don't actually wanted to take the tram. However, as we were just descending in the subway entrance, two uniformed man (may be tram clerks?) flashed towards us. One of them showed us an ID card but we didn't recognize and then asked us for tickets. We explained to them that we weren't tram travelers as we just want to know the traffic direction and we didn't even reach the ticket machine. They didn't listen to us and insisted on an 800 CZK fine for each of us.

During the whole process, they headed towards us and finally forced us to a corner. They threatened us if they called the police, the fine would be 10,000 crowns. After we let them call the police, one of them made a telephone call but after several trials, it didn't get through. We felt threat of personal safety so we agreed to pay the ridiculous fine. They just accepted cash but we hadn't enough Czech crowns so we offered to pay in credit cards. This didn't go through and finally we paid in euros. After receiving the cash, we asked for a receipt but they just fleet away immediately and we couldn't find them any more.

This experience shed a really bad impression of Prague on me. After searching in Google, I find out the subway police in Prague are expert at scamming confused tourists notoriously.

Maybe one day it will be better, who knows? Now I really hate this city.It had messed up all my touring plan in Czech.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: subway scam in Prague

Interesting... The only ticket inspectors I have seen wear plain clothes. I rarely take public transportation though, but when I do, I validate my ticket.

If they said the only accepted cash and not credit cards, how did the credit cards not go through? Were they carrying a credit card machine? But why would they have one, if they didn't accept credit cards?

Edited: 12 June 2014, 17:13
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: subway scam in Prague

they don't have credit card machine and insisted on cash payment, now i have know idea who they are.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: subway scam in Prague

They were the inspectors and you attempted to access the metro without a ticket...hence the fine was valid.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: subway scam in Prague

Must be gangsters...

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: subway scam in Prague

did they have guns?

3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: subway scam in Prague

I don't think it a valid fine when it comes without a receipt.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: subway scam in Prague

no point going on about it, you had no tickets so the fine was valid...but you should have been given a receipt.

praha
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: subway scam in Prague

couple of issues,

1. you were passed the ticket machines without valid tickets and hence if yo get caught you will pay a fine. It is very clear where the ticket machines are

2. if you did ask for a receipt and they did refused and disappeared that would indeed by a bit suspicious. It is possible they were metro officlas , maybe just gone off duty, saw you pass the barriers and took a chance , i have no evidence of such things but hey, it wouldnt surpise me if it happens sometimes.

So if they scammed you , you subjected yourself to being scammed by going passed the ticket machines without a valid ticket.

The moral of the story is just DO NOT go on trams or down the metro without a validated ticket....

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,345 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: subway scam in Prague

I asked TA to close one 'scam' thread which they did, thank you mods, and another one appears....such is life.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,018 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: subway scam in Prague

In all Prague metro stations, it is very clearly marked in which area it is compulsory to have a ticket, and it is written in Czech and English. I could only find a picture on the internet of the sign saying that the ticket area is ending, but the same signs point in the other direction. So if you crossed the line, then you broke the law.

…typepad.com/.a/6a00d834516a2569e20134863e38…