We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

subway scam in Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
subway scam in Prague

Today I encountered a scam on my first visit to the subway of Prague. I want to disclose it to warn more tourists about the awful scenes you may be caught in Prague.

This afternoon I was heading for the subway station with my friend because we want to find the transportation directions. We don't actually wanted to take the tram. However, as we were just descending in the subway entrance, two uniformed man (may be tram clerks?) flashed towards us. One of them showed us an ID card but we didn't recognize and then asked us for tickets. We explained to them that we weren't tram travelers as we just want to know the traffic direction and we didn't even reach the ticket machine. They didn't listen to us and insisted on an 800 CZK fine for each of us.

During the whole process, they headed towards us and finally forced us to a corner. They threatened us if they called the police, the fine would be 10,000 crowns. After we let them call the police, one of them made a telephone call but after several trials, it didn't get through. We felt threat of personal safety so we agreed to pay the ridiculous fine. They just accepted cash but we hadn't enough Czech crowns so we offered to pay in credit cards. This didn't go through and finally we paid in euros. After receiving the cash, we asked for a receipt but they just fleet away immediately and we couldn't find them any more.

This experience shed a really bad impression of Prague on me. After searching in Google, I find out the subway police in Prague are expert at scamming confused tourists notoriously.

Maybe one day it will be better, who knows? Now I really hate this city.It had messed up all my touring plan in Czech.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: subway scam in Prague

And there was me thinking this was a thread about unsuspecting tourists being hooked into buying low quality baguettes at a certain multinational sandwich shop chain.

What they pass off as 'meat' in these places may really constitute a scam :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: subway scam in Prague

that's unfair on said sandwich shop ,their stuff is no where near as good as you make out.

Columbus, Ohio...
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: subway scam in Prague

This very odd. We were in Prague twice in May. You go to subway, buy your tickets, validate them, and ride your train. If inspector comes, show your validated ticket. Depending on price, tickets are valid from 1 hr and up. Also. You must buy tickets for the luggage or a dog. The public transportation in Prague is reliable, clean and safe. This is my experience.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: subway scam in Prague

Yulia it is most folks experience too,just some folk don't bother to check the rules or choose to ignore them.

praha
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: subway scam in Prague

"The public transportation in Prague is reliable, clean and safe. "

indeed, it is the best i have ever seen - but in order to keep it that way everyone must purchase a ticket when using it, they are quite cheap comparing to other capital cities

Edited: 13 June 2014, 14:57
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: subway scam in Prague

I must add, the ticket machines in Prague are so user friendly even an old pensioner can use them with proficiency. And that's far more than I can say for the ticket machines in Germany, I always have to ask someone making me feel quite foolish indeed! ;-{)

South San...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: subway scam in Prague

It is true that you were fined for entering the subway without a ticket but it also seems like even the city's government knows subtle ways to generate extra incomes from visitors. Subway fare inspectors never inspect the locals or those who have the gaunt look which differentiates them from other caucasian nationalities. Anyone else especially other races (like asians with black hair and oriental features) are easily picked out for inspection. Most uninformed visitors are good sources of fines. After a few encounters I noticed that I am always inspected each time I use the subway while hoards of locals are bypassed without fail.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: subway scam in Prague

that is total rubbish. I see locals getting inspected all the time when in Prague , especially at interchange and end of line stations where the inspectors cover the stairs/escalators and check loads of folk , the majority of which are locals.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: subway scam in Prague

Locals do get inspected, but I have to agree that the inspectors do target people who are obviously not locals. However, this isn't because they are racist or want to milk the tourists. The simple fact is that the vast majority of locals who ride public transportation in Prague have monthly or yearly passes, and so the chances of catching someone without a ticket is much higher if they stop the people who certainly don't have these passes.

Unfortunately, a large number of tourists do not purchase tickets, either because they don't want to or they don't take the time to find out how or where, so the ticket inspectors know that the chances are much higher of catching them without a ticket. If all tourists bought tickets, and validated them correctly, then the ticket inspectors would learn that it doesn't make sense to check the tourists and they would focus their efforts on other more likely targets.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 11:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: subway scam in Prague

The warning is No. 1 in the top questions about Prague at the top of this page. You should never attempt to access the area beyond the barriers without a validated ticket whether you intend to travel or not. I have certainly seen locals picked out on trams, buses and the Metro. Unfortunately, ignorance of the rules will not be accepted as an excuse