We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Topic
Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

This is a trip report featuring 2 good friends (Unclegus & Andy) that have travelled to Prague on many occasions, both together and separately, the intention is to relax, do a bit of sightseeing, meet some friends, eat some great food and of course try lots of beers .I think we succeeded.

I have not taken a great deal of notes on this trip I was enjoying myself too much but I have kept receipts from most of the places we visited so should be able in most cases give you an idea of what we ate and drank and the prices we paid though for the beer buffs I am sorry but I really did not note down the names of most of the beers I drank .I did daily reports on FaceBook so have got that to refer back to and loads of photos posted there. I have linked to my reviews where I can and some photos are also posted on these.

Most of our travel in Prague was done using the 110kc 24hr transport tickets which were available from our hotel reception.

Friday 30th May.

Took the Jet2 flight from Edinburgh, mid afternoon flight that was due to get us into Prague about 5.45 pm local time but due to a delay we did not arrive till about 6.30pm.

Got through passport control very quickly and our luggage did not take to long to arrive .There has been a few changes to the baggage hall since I was last in Prague (about 6 months ago).A new smoking room to those desperate to have a puff can do so whilst waiting for their luggage, there are also lovely new toilets here and a great addition it is too .The baggage area seems to be sponsored by the Kozel brewery with some lovely models of the place there, very nice indeed.

We took the 119 bus to Dejvicka, I had a few transport tickets left over from my last trip so no need to have to get any from the kiosk.

Trip took about 20 minutes or so and the side of the road we arrived on at Dejvicka has been completed upgraded and at the moment the opposite side is undergoing changes. It is only a few minutes walk from the bus stop to the Hotel Denisa where we are staying for the week.

I have stayed in this hotel before and do like it, maybe not to every ones tastes but I like it and got a really good deal by booking directly with the hotel.

You can see my review here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d2…

Once checked in we found our room and enjoyed a beer from the mini bar whilst unpacking our bags.

Once organized we head out for an evening meal , it is now after 8.30 pm so we don’t go into town but head even further out of town to the bar U Topolu about a 5 minute walk from our hotel.

It is a really nice place I visited here before with Mr. &Mrs. PragueBohemian.

I had a steak & chips whilst Andy settled for a pork steak with bacon and green beans, we have a few Kozel beers to wash it down, service is excellent and food very good.

2 meals and 10 beers (yes 10 beers, jings I didn’t realize I had drunk so much) came to a total of 654 crowns.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d5…

Well it is now getting quite late and we head back to the hotel for a good nights rest.

Saturday 31st May.

A good breakfast in the hotel plenty to fuel you up for the day .We head to the bus stop and Dejvicka and take a bus to the Ledice memorial. The bus stops have moved from the main road where there is a lot of work going on but they were easy enough to find. Bus takes about 25 minutes to get to Ledice and drops you off a very short walk from the site .Cost for the bus were 29kc each one way.

Ledice is the village that was destroyed in the aftermath of the Heydrich assassination and most of inhabitants murdered or sent to concentration camps, 82 of the children were gassed in trucks by the Nazis.

Access to the village area is free but there is a wonderful museum beside the memorial that tells the story of Ledice and it is well worth paying the 80kc to enter. There is loads of info in English and several video presentations you can put English subtitles to, it is very well done.

The memorial to the 82 children of Ledice will make you weep and the whole area of the village quite peaceful .Please try and make the effort to go it is a good education.

I have not updated a review but my previous review is here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1751939-d…

We decide to have lunch and a beer in the Buffet place beside the memorial as we had just missed a bus back to Prague.

2 cans of Gambrinus and two burgers cost a total of 120kc (I think), burger wasn’t up to much but the salad in the bun with it was pretty good.

.we head back to Dejvicka and have a stroll through the great farmers market that is held there every Saturday, It is very good and I buy a few wooden souvenirs for my kitchen. From there we go to the riverside and to the beer festival Pivo Na Naplavce.

http://www.pivonanaplavce.cz/#home

This is a small beer festival held on the banks of the Vlatava just for 2 days at the end of May and it is wonderful. There is no charge for entrance BUT you MUST buy a glass at 60kc with a sticker on it so you can buy beers from the vendors .There are numerous stands with beers from all over the country .There also loads of food stalls and an area with a bandstand and some great music belting out .We spent the afternoon trying several beers prices ranged for 20- 40kc for 330mls.It was all good stuff and I tried beers from breweries I had never heard of before ,sorry I was enjoying myself far too much to note that they were .The music was great and everyone was really enjoying themselves in the afternoon sunshine.

A couple of things let it down however and that being the toilet facilities and the limited areas to get a seat.

We had decided to attend a football match at Viktoria Zizkov so headed there and arrived about 5 minutes before what we thought was the kick-off time only to find out it had started an hour earlier. I had checked a few days before hand on the times and was assured it was 5.00pm but they must have changed it quite late on as we were not the only folk who had turned up to find the game has started early.

We headed to Slovanske Lipy a great pub about 5 minutes walk away from the football ground .I really like this place, lots of great beers on tap.

We both had duck leg with cabbage and dumplings and a few beers.

2 meals and 3 (330ml) beers each cost 495KC

Beers drank were, Bizon Klistak, Drazicsky Lipan and Cerna Hora Sklepni, all tasted great.

See my review here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d4…

After a good meal and a few small beers we walk towards the city center and stop for a game of 10 pin bowling at the place in V Celnici.It has been done up since I was last in here a couple of years ago, very nice it is looking to, we spend an hour or so here having just the one beer (no idea what it was).cost for 3 games bowling and 2 beers was 420Kc. We head back to the hotel via the metro and stop for a late beer in Budvarka a short walk from the hotel. I have been in Budvarka many times; it is a great pub with great Budvar at 36kc/500ml.

And so back to the hotel for some much needed sleep it has been a pretty full day.

Sunday 1st June.

A little lie in this morning and a nice leisurely breakfast at the hotel.

We head out on a lovely sunny morning to the Andel area of the city to visit Kralovstvi Zeleznic, this is a huge model railway display and a most enjoyable place to visit .Might not be everyone’s cup of tea but we both thought it fantastic, really impressed by the size of it all and the whole facility was very good, the entrance fee seems a little high but I did think it worth it.

I would however like to see a better gift shop; there were a few things on sale at the ticket desk but not a lot.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d1…

Well time for lunch and we head to Kozlovna a Kozel pub nearby. I have been in here many times and really enjoy it.

We both had pork with mushroom sauce and fries along with 2 beers each total cost was 524Kc and worth every bit of it.

My review is here.

The afternoon was spent strolling the streets of Prague including a visit to Old town square to see what was on there (nothing). Still it is a lovely afternoon for a stroll. I think we stopped of somewhere for a beer and then headed back to the hotel for a break.

I had arranged to meet my good friend PragueBohemian and he took us to Pod Juliskou on the main road less than a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

It has a great beer garden at the back of the restaurant were we had a few beers before going inside for an evening meal.

The food in here is superb, myself and Praguebohemian had roast piglet chops with potato gratin and it was superb really, really superb. Andy had a Chicken dish which he thought superb too. We had a few beers to wash the food down with .Total bill for 3 fantastic meals and 12 beers were only 994kc and it was a total bargain.

Review is here.

I say goodbye to my friend as he lives in the opposite direction from where Andy and I were heading but will meet him again later in the week.

Andy and I head up the road to the hotel but as it is not too late decide on a beer in Kulatak a Pilsner Urquell bar very close to our hotel.( I had been in here once before)

What a great place and what great service, greeted at the door, shown to a nearby table and a beer in our hands in under a minute, that’s the way to do it. The Beer is great and the staff really nice, one of the girls took a really good photo of Andy and me quaffing our beers. We stayed for another and enjoyed the atmosphere of the place .Bill for 4 beers 180kc, that’s around my limit for beer in Prague but I am not complaining, the service was great, the staff great and the place a very nice place to enjoy a few beers.

The review is here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g274707-…

Monday 2nd June.

A trip to the castle area today, we head out fairly early so we can be there for opening time and buy the A route ticket for 350kc each. It has been quite a number of years since we both did a proper tour of the castle but Andy did do some of it a couple of years ago with his girlfriend.

We spent a fair bit of time at the Story of Prague castle area, I don’t remember seeing this before and it was really informative, the only problem was about 2 bus loads of school kids running around trying to fill in their projects. Still we let them get well ahead of us and enjoyed the rest of the exhibition. We made visits to St Georges Basilica, Rosenberg palace, St. Vitus cathedral and golden lane. It was all great fun but having a shot of the Old fashioned crossbows in Golden lane armoury was the highlight, Andy even scored a bullseye.

We finish our tour of the castle area with a walk through the gardens.

It is now a lot later than we had realized and were going to go to Beroun for lunch but as we were hungry decided to stop for lunch in Ferdinanda near the train station. We have both been in the place before and were served up a great spicy goulash with bread dumplings and a nice beer,2 goulash with 2 small beers (lunch deal) and 2 other beers came to a total of 314Kc.

The review is here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d8…

Fed and watered we head out to Beroun about 40 minutes or so by train. We had hope to use the Double-decker train to get there but had just missed one so took the faster train ,return trip for 2 was 219Kc.

Beroun station is a very typical communist era building, functional rather than beautiful but the stain glass window there is quite lovely and worth going to see .We have a wander round the small town visiting the main city gates and the remains of the old walls as well as visiting the main square of the town .It is all very pleasant nothing stunning but nice.

The main reason for visiting Beroun however is to visit the micro-brewery Berounsky medved. I have made several visits here but this was a first for Andy. It is set in an old sugar mill that is now a scrap yard a most unusual setting and when you approach the place you wonder where the heck you are going .it is a lovely place ,real old fashioned interior with great wooden tables and benches ,dried hops hang in the rafters .They make their own beer in here and it is great ,for some reason on past visits I never drank their light lager and what a mistake that has been ,it is wonderful and we spend the later part of the afternoon drinking 3 beers each ,total bill for 6 x 500ml beers was only 120kc. yep that’s 20kc per beer , cheapest of the trip and to tell the truth my favourite . I bought a glass as a souvineer and the barman even gave me some nice fresh beer mats to use with it.

My review is here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g676767-d3…

So back to the train station and this time we get the double-decker train back to Prague.

For our evening meal we head to Vytopna on Wenseslas Square a place we have both been to before and where your beer is brought to you table by little trains ,it is great fun .Service was very good.

Our meals were chicken stuffed with English bacon served with salad and chips; we also had tirimasu ice-cream to finish and a couple of Krusovice beers.

Total price for 2 mains, 2 sweets and 4 beers was 844kc.

My review is here.

We finish the evening with a beer in Budvarka on the way home; we have an early start tomorrow so are back at the hotel just after 10.00pm.

Tuesday 3rd June.

Day trip to Karlovy Vary today. I had booked tickets online through Student agency buses a few days before and they cost less than 12 euros each for the return trip.

Bus picked us up at Dejvicka at 8.45 am and the journey took about2 hours, the bus is really good with tea& coffee served on board, newspapers soft drink and snacks available there is also at TV showing episodes of Friends.

We get dropped of at the bus station in Karlovy Vary and begin to wander through the town .It is a lovely place and even more so in the sunshine, last time I was here it poured of rain .We spend a lot of time wandering the lovely streets enjoying the buildings and the fine weather, the colonnades are great and we buy cups so we can partake of the waters and what foul tasting stuff it is, still its all good fun .It really is a pleasant place for strolling. We eventually take the fennicular up the hill to the Diana tower (80kc return) and enjoy the views from the top, there is a lift to the top if you don’t want to climb the 150 steps, and we took the lift but walked down. There is another large group of school kids and they were racing each other up the tower steps as we were trying to get down ,I am sure it’s the same kids from the castle yesterday.

We decide on lunch in the open air at the Diana restaurant next to the tower, it is very nice and the food and beer good .We have Schnitzel with fries and a Krusovice beer, total cost is 465kc a little expensive but reasonable for a tourist site .I have not done a review of this place as it is not listed on TA.

Back down the hill and a wander round enjoying the town, we stop for a beer in the Parlament bar on the main pedestrian precinct heading back to the bus station. 2 beers cost 88kc.

We have a short wait at the bus station before boarding the bus back to Prague and arrive back at our hotel about 6.00pm.

Tonight we visit the home of my friend PragueBohemian he picks us up at the hotel and we travel the short distance to his place.

It is lovely to visit here again and meet his lovely wife .We sit in the garden with a beer and some spirit whilst the evening meal is cooking and eventually go inside to enjoy a great spicy beef goulash with lovely fragrant rice ,a few bottles of wine are consumed with the meal .We finish our meal with a homemade sweet made of fresh fruit and condensed milk ,it was lovely .We sit and chat the evening away w listing to music and having a few drinks ,and left to walk back to the hotel sometime after midnight. It has been a lovely evening. We will be meeting up with our hosts again on Thursday night.

Wednesday 4th June.

Not a lot planned for today apart from a lunch with another friend.

We decide on running the trams this morning we jump on the first tram we see and it is a no20 that heads to the south of the city, Andy notices a stop called Chapilinovo namesti and we decide to get of there, it is a small shopping center with a very cheap looking statue of Charlie Chaplin. It’s a bit of fun and the ride out has been pleasant letting us see parts of the city we have not been to before ,there is a bowling alley there but it was too early for it to be open.

We use the no12 tram to get back to the city center but on the tram I remember that it takes us to the Pivovar marina Holesovice a place I was intending to go to some time this week .We go there for a late morning beer, it is great and the staff were terrific even taking a picture of the two of us.

More of this place later.

We have a lunch date with JeffinPrague and meet him outside Radegast Peron just round the corner from Andel metro .Peron is a lovely place and we eventually get a table in the outside courtyard .Lunchtime specials are on and we all settle for the same meal pork stuffed with cheese and spinach served with potato gratin. It is superb and for the price (109kc) amazing value .We also have a couple of Radegast from the tank a new experience for both of us and one that I certainly will repeat next time I am in the city. This was the first time I had met JeffinPrague and the first time he had met anyone from TA, he is a delightful man and looks 10 years younger than he says he is .He also paid for lunch and we both thank him very much, hopefully we will meet on my next trip. Jeff has a meeting to go to so Andy and I say our goodbyes to him and head over to the huge Andel mall. we have a bit of beer shopping to do in the Tesco there, but first upstairs to the Bowling alley and a few games .We have a beer and I can’t remember what it was but it was pretty crappy compared to the tankova Radegast we had been drinking in Peron, I have no idea of the cost of the beer or the bowling.

We do a bit of shopping and head back to the hotel to put our feet up for a while.

We head to Dejvicka Sokolovna about a few minutes walk from our hotel .We were going to have our evening meal there but it was just so smoky that we just had a beer and left ,no way was I going to eat with that much smoke about .I will say no more but read my review here.

We are right beside Hradcanska metro so take that into town and we head to U Tri Ruzi a place I know is non smoking ,a place I enjoy ,a place that brews there own beer ,a place I know does great food and a place Andy has never been to before.

We get a nice corner table and are quickly served with a beer .The beer is here is served in 400ml glasses and tends to be a bit more ex [pensive but I like it and the smaller servings means I can try a few more .We both settle for grilled breast of chicken with mushrooms and potatoes .It is delicious some of the nicest chicken I have had in a long time. We try a few more beers and from the receipt I have they are a Svetly special and the tamvy special. It was a most enjoyable evening meal. Total cost for 2 meals and 6 beers was 644kc.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d3…

We head back toward the hotel but stop in the great Kulatak near the hotel for a couple of late beers.

Thursday 5th June.

Again nothing planned, just a wander round Prague and a bit of shopping for gifts for family friends and ourselves.

We start of at Namesti Republiky and wander the royal route through the heart of Prague’s tourist district stopping at shops and sights as we please. We buy a few things for our loved ones and I buy myself a nice t-shirt with “Prague the Best city in the World on it”.

We eventually end up on Charles bridge and really enjoy the buskers and traders there ,I peed off an American lady at the statue of John of Nepomuk where you rub his image and make a wish. She told me there was a line and I should go to the end of it, I told her there was queue and I was at the beginning of it, it looked like a whole bus load of American tourists were waiting in line to touch the statue, if I spoiled their day then so be it, I can be a right bugger when it suits me.

Once over Charles Bridge we jump on the no12 tram and head out to Pivovar Marina Holesovice for lunch. The place is quite busy but the staff efficient and pleasant. We soon get a beer and an English menu. I have pork fillet with mashed potato and a beer sauce; it is amazing Andy has a Chicken steak with chips and salad. We also try 3 of their own beers each and every one is lovely, service in here is really good and very friendly; it is lovely inside and also has a nice outside area overlooking the marina.

2 main course and 6 beers cost 638kc.

I know I did a recent review of this place but it is not on the website so this is a link to my previous reviews I will get a new one up soon.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

We head back to our hotel via Letna Park and a quick stop in the beer garden, you can’t go to Prague in the lovely weather without a stop here, just wish they would serve the beer in proper glasses instead of plastic.

This evening we are having a meal with Mr. & Mrs. PragueBohemian, we meet up for a beer in Riegrovy beer garden first .It is a lovely place and ideal spot for some fresh air beer.

See my review here.

We head to the tavern a great pub on the edge of the park that does great burgers, it is a real fun place and we all order various burger fries and beers, it does get busy so book ahead or be prepared to wait. We had a great time in there .I have no idea of the cost but certainly nothing expensive.

See my review here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d3…

We left there around 9.30 and headed back to the Dejvicka area for a couple of late night beers. Praguebohemian leads us through the roadworks around Dejvicka to Pod Luobim were we have a couple of beers, Gambrinus I think and prices were cheap.

My review is here.

We say our goodbyes to our friends as we are leaving on the morrow. I will miss them dearly but will see them again on my next visit.

Friday 6th June.

Our last day, we have a nice breakfast pack our bags and check out of the hotel ,it’s nice when you get an additional 3% discount for paying cash .We leave our bags at the hotel to collect later and head out to the Eden Stadium or Synopt Tip arena as it is now called .We just had a look around it ,last time we were on the site was in 2002 when it was a very different place .Considering how new this place is it is looking very tatty and when you go round the back it appears to be quite unfinished. We head along towards Strasnicka metro and the bar U Slamu which just happens to bee the very first bar we both drank Pilsner Urquell in on our first joint visit to Prague in 2002.its not changed much .we just had one beer but as it was too early for lunch we went out for a walk deciding to return for lunch later .Well almost next door is a Bowling alley so we go in and have 3 games for the ridiculously cheap price of 150kc.

It’s now lunchtime and back to U Slamu and lunch of pork neck, cabbage and dumplings washed down with tankova Pilsner Urquell. 2 meals and 2 beers came to 244kc.

My review is here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d6…

Well our time in Prague is almost at an end, we take the tram back to the hotel pick up our bags and head to the airport via the 119 bus.

It has been a great holiday, the sun has shone brightly, we have spent time with friends and made new ones, we ate some great meals and drank a lot of great beer .we will be back.

Unclegus.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

I was there on a previous trip and it is in one of my report I think from last May2013 I to went to the krcma place and really enjoyed it.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

Great trip report, Gus. You sure delivered on your promise to write a complete one upon returning! And it was great to meet you. Let me know next time you are here. I'm sure I can find another brand of beer to introduce you to. It will be a challenge, but I think I am up to it:-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

I will keep you to that.and thanks again.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
171 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

Gus, i had a lot of pleasure reading that, i see you went to visit 3 big favourites of mine, Ferdinanda, Pod Juliskou and of course Peron down there in Andels.... Brilliant read and yes that Tankova Radegast as i said previously is my fave beer.

Me n Emma will get up to Lidice in October for sure

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

I am sure you will both enjoy the experience that is Lidice,there is a little buffet there for a snack and of course about 3 different beers but only in cans.

Peron was a revelation , really brilliant food and there beer is outstanding. nearby there I mentioned Kozlovna so give that a go for some good Kozel.

Ostrava, Czech...
Level Contributor
236 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

Nice trip report. Thanks for posting.

Worcester
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

Great reading and sounds like great time was had by all. I think I need to get a bit of beer training in before we go in November. My Lady-Friend can't manage beer nowadays. What's the wine like? We enjoy red after the first beer with food. Any recommendations gratefully appreciated. Perhaps Mr & Mrs P-B can help?

Dom

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

Not much of a wine drinker and I certainly find the czech red wine to be quite dry but i tend to stick to beer,hopefully someone else can reccommend wines and places to drink it.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,038 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

The wine is very good, especially the whites. Make sure you get a late harvest (pozdní sběr in Czech).

1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Unclegus's Trip report May/June 2014

Can we use euro everywhere?