We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrow down selection to Two Hotels

florida
Level Contributor
72 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Narrow down selection to Two Hotels

My family of 4 will be traveling to Prague in mid -August We have narrowed our choices to 2 hotels The Hotel General, which has air conditioning(not sure if we will need it) but concerned about the location. The other choice is Apartmenthotel5 where we will have a 2 bedroom apartment but no A/C. Any thoughts on what is in the best area and if we should be concerned with air conditioning in the rooms. We do like to stay away from the tourist areas, don't mind walking but also want a quiet location if we are to keep our windows open at night. Thank you

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,480 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrow down selection to Two Hotels

These are only 200 yards apart. A few blocks over is Andel shopping center thus, access to metro and tram service. TESCO if you need snacks or any personal things.

Large variety of restaurants of all sorts in that area Czech, sushi, American, Italian, Asian etc.

http://www.restauraceandel.cz/ Czech

http://www.restaurace-hlubina.cz/ Czech

http://www.pravek.cz/ pre-historic/caveman restaurant

opposite bank down by Rudolfinum

http://www.grosseto.cz/marina/galerie

On Saturdays, across the bridge on the bank there is a farmers market.

nearest Trams 4,7,10,14

dpp.cz 2nd table use Journey Planner

(walk to the shopping center and more tram choices)

for ex. find tram 20 at Andel...take over to Malostranaka Namesti and switch to 22 to get you up the hill behind the castle.

(by chance you plan on visiting Cesky Krumlov, the Student Agency bus leaves from Andel area)

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrow down selection to Two Hotels

First of all, no need for A/C in Prague at all, and certainly not in August. Nights are cool in August.

You said "a quiet location if we are to keep our windows open at night". If so, then look for another hotel completely. Both hotels are on very busy streets with lots of traffic. The street Svornosti (with the Hotel General) is the major north-south artery on the west side of the Vltava River, and the Aparthotel City 5 is on Vltavska, which is part of what is called the Smichov Beltway and is the major east-west artery. I wouldn't stay on either street. I actually drive down those streets almost every day and often wonder who would choose a hotel like the General - way too much traffic, exhaust fumes and noise for my taste.

If you are looking for hotels in the area, check out these:

Hotel Residence Mala Strana

Best Western Kinsky Garden

Red and Blue Design Hotel

Hotel Julian

Mamaison Riverside Hotel

Those are the ones I have heard good things about. There are others in the area that are on side street that I haven't heard anything about (like the Hotel Otto, Hotel Atos, Aparthotel Na Belidle, etc.).

I know the Smichov part of town very well, so if you want to consult another location, just let me know.

North Shields...
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrow down selection to Two Hotels

You will not require A/C, opening windows will be sufficient on warmer days/nights. I would compare the type of weather/temperatures you can expect to a warm Spring/Autumn day in Florida.

In my experience hotel rooms in Europe are a lot smaller than those in the US and therefore I would recommend an apartment which will give you a lot more space plus the added benefits of a fridge (to keep the local beer cold) plus all the comforts of home. My family has recently returned from staying in an apartment in Maltezski Namesti in Mala Strana. This is lovely quite location but just two minutes walk from Charles Bridge, St Nicholas Church and Kampa Island. There are loads of shops/bars/restaurants in the immediate vicinity as well as a Tram stops and Metro Station virtually on the door step which can take you anywhere in the city. A huge choice of apartments can be found on Trip Advisor - try clicking on the 'holiday rentals' tab at the top of the page.

central coast...
Level Contributor
482 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrow down selection to Two Hotels

when it says nights are cool in aug? average ? 60's, lite jacket?

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrow down selection to Two Hotels

Yeah, the 60s F sound about right. Good to have a light jacket with you.

6. Re: Narrow down selection to Two Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 09:17