We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 December Days in Prague

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
5 December Days in Prague

Hello! Thinking of spending 5 days in Prague during December, but I'm not sure if there will be enough to see/do in winter. I'm worried 5 days will be a bit boring given that many walks around the city are out of the question in the cold, but not long enough to split the time with a side trip to say, Berlin or Munich.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
16,033 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 December Days in Prague

Consider Dresden Germany Christmas markets..just over 2 hrs by train

What would you do in Munich or Berlin? It would require walking as well.

Is DEC your only chance to visit Europe 'cause I suppose I am missing the point of visiting Europe in DEC if you're worried it will be too cold to get out

Edited: 24 June 2014, 22:01
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 December Days in Prague

I'm from Boston, I can certainly go out in the cold. What I mean is that it will be too cold to spend hours leisurely strolling the city or relaxing on a town square. Those are the kind of things I usually do during downtime on a trip and to get a good feel for a city. I'm wondering if without that I'll find myself a bit bored. A scenic 30 minute walk or stroll around the Old Town is totally doable.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 December Days in Prague

Last Christmastime in Prague I left my winter coat at the hotel on most days. Granted, I came from the snow belt near Cleveland where it had been brutally cold, but a long sleeve shirt was adequate during the day time. It was in the 40s most days. I wore my coat at night maybe 3 times out of 7 nights. I walk miles around town during the day, so maybe keeping moving kept me warm. I certainly wasn't the only one walking around without a coat, though. Felt more like early October, than December. I have always had the problem of not having enough time in Prague, rather than not having enough to see and do...

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
185 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 December Days in Prague

You can never tell what the weather will be in December - it can be VERY cold (I remember such years:), but usually the winter is mild - nothing that would stop you from walking for hours - and stopping for coffee or glue wine from time to time in one of the many cafes and restaurants:) Just bring your warm coat and scarf, hat, gloves, good shoes and you will be fine:)

Columbus, Ohio...
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 December Days in Prague

My experience with December visit to Prague: wet snow or rain. In rainy days we plan for museums, shopping. Also, I strongly suggest to go to the Opera Theater. Prague Opera is one of the best in Europe. It should be a mid season. The Theater itself is very pretty. The atmosphere is uplifting and exciting. Even if you are not an opera or balet fan, you just love it.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,516 posts
5,692 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 December Days in Prague

If you spend time visiting the major attractions in Prague than you won't be bored in 5 days. If you are only wanting to walk around, you probably will.

Consider Cesky, Brno, Bratislava and Vienna as well as other cities mentioned above for an additional city visit if you need to move on.

7. Re: 5 December Days in Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:16