We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub with Great Dark Beer

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
191 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Pub with Great Dark Beer

I was in Prague 41 years ago and had a couple of dark beers at U Fleku which I thought was the best dark beer in the world (and probably the best beer). Returning next year to Prague, I plan to visit U Fleku for a glass, but I plan to try other dark beers and pilsners (helps to have more money). Going through this forum, people had recommended Budvar dark and Kozel dark. How do they compare with the dark beer at U Fleku? Are there other dark beers to try? We will probably be staying in Old Town so we don't want to stray too far from the touristy sections.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,602 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

I know next to nothing about beer, but my husband likes Strahov brewery stuff

http://www.klasterni-pivovar.cz/en/

oh any by the way, welcome back..after 41 years you will hardly recognise the place lol

Edited: 06 July 2014, 17:30
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,887 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

http://www.praguebeergarden.com/

this link should let you see lot of places that sell great beer,look for the style Cerne or Tmave to get the darker ones.many of the micro breweries mentioned on that website will have dark beers.U Tri Ruzi has in my opinion one of the best dark lagers around.

U Fleku beer is quite different from Kozel and Budvar dark much sweeter in my opinion but worth trying.Another common dark beer is Merlin which is ok.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

I would second the recommendation for the Klasterini Pivovar at Strahov Monastery. The beers are outstanding, but for me, the IPA is also a must if visiting. I realise it's not a dark beer, but the aroma and taste are quite special and very intense. Once you have the taste, it's quite moreish.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

I must admit the dark beer at U Flecku is indeed superb, definitely unique a style of their own. However the place is a bit touristy and noisy for me. Most pubs have good dark beers Kozel being one of my choices. The Strahov Monastery is always on our beer route every time we visit, I'm quite fond of their I.P.A. and the food there is spot on too.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

I haven't tried the Old Gott semi-dark yet, as the brewery was closed last trip. They also do a Black Gott - also untried. Would any of the beer experts think this beer worthy of a recommendation?

The Old Gott brewery is in the U Medvidku building and the old beer/restaurant hall there may be worth a visit as it's not too far from U Fleku.

As Snydley has said, Fleku can get touristy, but if you can ignore the obligatory German coach party, the beer is good and it's an interesting old pub. Just avoid the trays of Becherovka shots that are presented to each table at regular intervals. They definitely aren't on the house.

http://www.umedvidku.cz/index.php/en/

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,602 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

and some of the pubs from 41 years ago must be U Cerneho vola and U Zlateho tygra...both extremely smoky..no comment about beer:)

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

Smoky = proper pub ;-)

Must have been fascinating to visit 41 yrs ago. My first visit was only 19 years ago, but it's has changed a lot in that time. Not all changes are for the good, but luckily there's plenty of things that are unchanged and keep me coming back to what is a very special and unique capital city. A friend visited in the 70s, but I haven't got around to grilling him on his experiences yet.

RI
Level Contributor
313 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

I very much enjoy the Old Gott semi-dark but it's not that dark. Never saw the Black Gott but will be on the lookout for it. I'd recommend baracnicka rychta, they serve Svijansky beer, thought their cerny karamel 13 was excellent. They also have a Svijansky Rezane which I'm pretty sure is a half light/half dark and is similar in color to the Old Gott semi-dark. Those Svijansky beers are very smooth, the food is also excellent and fairly priced, a reservation is a good idea (it is about a 5 minute walk around the corner and up the hill from the main square in Mala Strana)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

Quite aware that U Fleku is very touristy now. At that time most tourists went there too, but there weren't too many tourists in Prague then. I'm returning there for the beer, not for the ambiance of the place. However, thank you for your answers.

10. Re: Pub with Great Dark Beer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2015, 05:16