We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague - Krakow train problem

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Topic
Prague - Krakow train problem

Hi, i'm trying to buy the ticket for the train from prague to krakow on the 8th september 2014 on the CD website and it seems that I have to contact the customer service as I'm not able to buy it online. When I tried to do that, they told me that they are not authorised to sell online tickets for the summer period and that I have to buy the tickets at the train station. Is this normal? Do seats usually run out and how much will they cost at the station? If you guys have better options for trains or buses I'm at all ears :). Thank you!!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,398 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

It isn't normal, but unfortunately this summer it is the case. Do you want to travel by day or overnight?

A regular ticket costs about €42 - by day this means changing to rail replacement bus in Katowice (far better than the slower TLK train which can be horrendously packed)

If overnight then you buy a regular ticket and a sleeper/couchette supplement on top according to this price schedule cd.cz/en/…

The regular tickets don't sell out - the couchette and sleeper berths are of course limited in number per train, but I can't see demand being that great on your date of travel. Just buy the tickets when you arrive in Prague at the ČD travel centre at the station.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

Here's the info for Prague-Krakow bookings for June, July, August 2014 or any time of year if you get a 'Your request could not be granted' message.

The online system at www.cd.cz/eshop can only sell the special cheap advance-purchase fares, it cannot sell the regular full-price (but still inexpensive) fare. So if you get a 'Your request could not be granted' message it does not mean the train is full, only that the cheap tickets are sold out or unavailable. In fact, CD & PKP have decided that they can fill the Prague to Krakow train at the regular price in the busy summer months, so they aren't offering any special fares for this period, so you'll get a sold out message every time. But don't worry, there's an easy solution!

Here's the workaround:

Start your enquiry again at www.cd.cz/eshop, but with one crucial difference. On the start page, change 'ticket with possible reservation' to 'supplementary services, reservation'.

On the next page, change 'Seat reservation on the train?' from 'no' to 'yes' and change 'Seat reservation' to 'sleeper' or 'couchette'. It will check availability and assuming the train isn't really full, you will then see a price for the couchette or sleeper reservation.

Buy this, and you are then safely confirmed on the train with the type of couchette or sleeper you want.

You haven't yet got a travel ticket to go with the reservation, but this is easy, you can buy this at the station in Prague for a fixed price of €41 with unlimited availability any time before the train leaves. Job's a good 'un!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

Hey there,

I encounter the same problem for my trip (end of April / start of May) night train. I tried to "workaround" by choosing registration as told in the previous comment, but it didn't work. I still cannot buy a ticket (from Prague to Krakow is the problem, the return ticket does not get the error.

So my questions are:

1- Is there another possibility to buy the ticket online now?

2- Is there a risk on that time that all tickets (or all couchette/sleeper tickets) are sold out? Is it too late to buy the tickets when I'm in Prague (2 days before the train journey)?

3- How much does it cost to buy a couchette 4 (or sleeper 2) ticket for one ongoing + return trip from the station offices in Prague?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

Rewendor, this ticket is now being sold on the Polrail site, not through cd.cz. Try there and you should be able to book a sleeper/couchette without any trouble.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

Thanks for the info :) I just checked, but I've seen that the price is doubled at Polrail, and I would'nt want to spend 60-80€ extra for the ticket. I'll keep this as a last option, but it would be much better to have the opportunity to buy from cd.cz (or a similar pricing website)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,290 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

Standard price from CZech railways is 58 euros for a bed in a 4 bed compartment...if they are not selling on line as a special price, this is what you will pay on the day.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

Thank you very much for information :)

Two more quick questions if possible:

- Is 58€ for one way or including the return? If it is one way, does it get cheaper (than 58x2=116€) for two way tickets (including return) ?

- And do you know how much 6-bed couchette costs?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,290 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

58 euros is one way standard ticket with a bed in a 4 bed couchette....6 bed couchette would be about 4 euros less.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

Again, thank you very much for the information!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Prague - Krakow train problem

I also tried to book ticket using their web site and got error. I thought that Europe didn't have problems with online ordering. Finally, i went to station and bought ticket.