We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague in February

UK
1 post
Save Topic
Prague in February

So how cold will I be in prague in February? It seemed romantic to be in a cold, wintery city but what attractions can you visit if it's too cold to go outside?

Also I'm having trouble booking some of the accommodation that I've seen recommended on this site. Is there some kind of event happening in early February or I'm I just planning ahead too far when availability hasn't been released yet?

Any advice greatfully accepted.

Cesky Krumlov Day Trip from Prague
722 Reviews
from US$85.20*
Free Cancellation
Small-Group Bohemian and Saxon...
257 Reviews
from US$183.40*
Free Cancellation
Small-Group Prague City Walking Tour...
466 Reviews
from US$78.10*
North west England
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague in February

We are also going in February and we can't book the apartment that we want yet,as the prices don't come out until October.

Weather in Feb can be mixed. I have been when it is -14 on the Charles Bridge at midnight.

Generally it's OK during the day, getting colder at night. Best advice is to dress in layers, so that you are warm when you are outside, but can take layers off in restaurants, museums etc

Mentioned in this post
Charles Bridge
Charles Bridge
59,528 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Prague
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague in February

If it is too cold for your liking, make a lot of stops and drink Becherovka, that will keep you warm from the inside...

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague in February

I was in Prague in February 2006, and it was absolutely beautiful. There was a little rain and it was cold -- after about 3 hours of walking around the castle, my fingers were pretty icy, but overall it was not bad at all.

I took a wool peacoat as well as a big "ski-type" jacket, and never has a need for anything more than the peacoat. And, some light gloves and a hat were plenty. In fact, we spend one gorgeous day having a picnic lunch in a park near U Fleku where it was about 58 degrees -- fantastic!

As far as attractions... the castle is open, charles bridge is bustling, and the rest of the city is business as usual. We spent time at the castle, went to the opera (highly suggested), had a number of wonderful dinners, walked all over the city and generally had a great time. With less tourists than the high-season, you really can blend in more and enjoy a true experience. I'm not sure what attractions you might not be able to visit, but I can not think of anything I wanted to do that I couldn't... with the exception of visiting the Pilsner Urquel brewery -- but that was due to us sleeping in and missing the bus rather than it being closed. LOL

As far as hotels, if you have not decided yet, I would HIGHLY recommend the Residence Nosticova... not one bad thing I could say about it -- a wonderful property in a fantastic location!

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me at jayknott2006@yahoo.com.

Jay

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
U Fleku
U Fleku
393 Reviews
Ostrava, Czech Republic
Pilsner Restaurant
Pilsner Restaurant
178 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague in February

hello.

with regards to the weather in feb ( we stayed in prague this feb) so to be honest be prepared for it to be v cold! we did not have snow but it had snowed before we arrived as we could still see it here and there.dont know exact temps but we are talking warm hats, ear muffs thick coats lots of layers,thermal socks! are you starting to get the picture! but this made it a really good trip and added a interesting spin on a mini break. you can still do lots of stuff and we still managed to see the sights, but poping in and out of bars to warm up and have a glass of hot wine (a wonderfull winter warmer!) was the order of the day. we would deffinatly go this time of year again.

totally romantic city indeed, had a really great time lots better than other citys visited, you must go!

the u prince hotel in the old square has seating outside all day, really nice in the evening to sit (dont worry they have patio heaters) and have a drink , try a cocktail they a have huge cocktail list and watch the world go by.

hope this helps

regards cath

Mentioned in this post
Hotel U Prince
Hotel U Prince
1,093 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
newcastle
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague in February

beeen to prague two years running in early feb, it was never any warmer than -4c , even at lunch time. very cold evenings/nights , -16c

be prepared with walking boots, thermals, a decent hat and some gloves, wear layers and you can remove a layer or 2 when indoors.

its beautiful, we have had snow both visits,

footpaths are well gritted/salted you can still get around o.k.

not so many visitors, keep popping into cafes/ restaurents for snacks and hot drinks.

lots of good deals for hotels, i think appartments are a little trickier to book as they are used by owners in winter, i get the impression that people rent out their homes to tourists in summer only.

6. Re: Prague in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 02:20