We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Few Questions

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
A Few Questions

A Prague newby here:

1. From U.S. and would like to know if there are any cultural/social expectations regarding etiquette and behavior I should be aware of. Don't want to be the ugly American...

2. Looking for the easiest way to get from the airport to Old Town Square area - not necessarily the cheapest, just the easiest considering I do not speak the language.

3. Best way to get to Cesky Krumlov and reco for a one night stay hotel.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Few Questions

I liked Pension Barbakan in Cesky Krumlov - good location, nice, newly reconstructed rooms -- aroun $65 for a single. Also has a nice restaurant terrace with a view of the river.

If you can figure out how to make a phone call --- call AAA Taxi at 14014 -- operators speak English. Will pick you up in about 10 mins. Cheaper than the taxi stand at the airport.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Few Questions

Regarding cultural expectations we became aware that the Czech people are a little more reserved than the typical U.S. traveler. They were very pleasant and helpful but might seem reticent to shoot the breeze. We also tried to "go with the flow" and not complain about differences when comparing their hotels or restaurants to those in the U.S. For example, don't expect free refills on coffee or other drinks. Not all hotels and trains have air conditioning which proved to be uncomfortable in July. We found their public transportation system to be more efficient than ours in the U.S. All in all, you should have a wonderful time.

We took the bus to Cesky Krumlov which took over 2 hours. It leaves you off within a few blocks walking distance of CK old town area. We stayed at the Castle View Apartments which were very nice. I wouldn't have missed CK for anything,

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Few Questions

easiest way from airport to the old town is to get a taxi outside the airport (the yellow AAA taxis are slightly cheaper than the grey Fix taxis). Taxi one way should cost about 35 dollars.

For Cesky Krumlov, there are direct buses which leave Florenc bus station several times a day, or train (but you need to change at Ceske Budejovice).

For hotels in Cesky Krumlov, type Cesky Krumlov into the search page on Tripadvisor and you will then be given the choice of hotels that other people have reviewed

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
228 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A Few Questions

I second the opinion about the Czech people being reserved. And while most of the shop and hotel people speak English, when asked, they will say they do not speak much, but in reality they are more than adequate. Older Czech people, however, probably do not speak English much, if at all. That being said, you will have absolutely no problem communicating.

Airport taxis (silver Skodas and VWs) that sit directly outside the airport are the most expensive way to get to Old Town. Flat rate is 650Kc or about $30. AAA taxis will be about 2/3 that and they can be found in a separate rank. I can't recall where it is outside of the international terminal. Maybe someone can help.

You will always be greeted with "Dobry Den" which means good day and is pronounced as it is spelled. It is polite to return the saying. It is helpful to study the language a bit so you can read signs and menus, although menus in the main part of town are almost always in English. By studying, I just mean learn how the diacritical marks (those little squiggly things above some of the letters) affect pronounciation. That way you can sound out the words and often figure out what they mean.

Cesky Krumlov is a wonderful place and well worth a side trip. I have taken the bus from Florenc bus station--3 hours. Make sure you reserve a seat. It is a local bus and on my trip down and back it was standing room only if you did not have a seat reserved. I have also rented a car and driven there. Easy drive.

For budget accommodations, I've stayed at the Hotel Vltava which is up the hill from the bus terminal. Very basic and relatively inexpensive. About a 15-20 minute walk from the old part of town. I've also stayed on the old square at the Hotel Old Inn. Expensive but extremely convenient and picturesque. As has been said, the city is best before and after the day trippers are there. Night time is a wonderful experience and there are great little restaurants all over the place. Have a good trip.

5. Re: A Few Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 10:35