We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

Tehran
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

If St. Vitus was born in 1369 and the construction of the cathedral began in 1344, then when they named it after St. Vitus and what was the name of the cathedral at time of its construction in 1344?

Many thanks,

Anthony

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,873 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

1929. the catherdal was not concencrated till then.actually it was never completed till the early 20th centuary

Tehran
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

Thanks for the clarification.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,587 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

oh that's interesting I thought that it has always been called St. Vitus or in Czech

Katedrála sv. Víta, Václava a Vojtěcha v Praze

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

Actually, that's not true. It was named after St. Vitus from the beginning, but after a different St. Vitus than the one born in 1369.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitus

From Wikipedia:

The current cathedral is the third of a series of religious buildings at the site, all dedicated to St. Vitus. The first church was an early Romanesque rotunda founded by Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia in 930. This patron saint was chosen because Wenceslaus had acquired a holy relic – the arm of St. Vitus – from Emperor Henry I. It is also possible that Wenceslaus, wanting to convert his subjects to Christianity more easily, chose a saint whose name (Svatý Vít in Czech) sounds very much like the name of Slavic solar deity Svantevit. Two religious populations, the increasing Christian and decreasing pagan community, lived simultaneously in Prague castle at least until the 11th century.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Origins

Edited: 03 August 2014, 16:05
Tehran
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

Actually this is all my gross mistake and I apologize for it. I mixed up Jan Hus with St. Vitus. Jan Hus was born on 1369 and St. Vitus was someone dating back to pre 10th century.

I agree with the Wikipedia.

Thanks,

Anthony.

Tehran
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

In fact I just found my misplaced notes FYI:

St. Vitus was a popular 4th century martyr whose bones were acquired by King Charles IV and brought to Prague, and at his behest the construction of the St. Vitus Cathedral began on 1344 and the work was stopped on 1421 by the Hussite war.

Thanks,

Anthony

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,044 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't for the life of me figure out which Vitus was born in 1369. Now it all makes sense.

8. Re: When was the Cathedral named St. Vitus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 06:16