We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

District Safety

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
District Safety

We will be arriving from Vienna in the early afternoon at the main train station in Prague and we are thinking of staying in a hotel within walking distance of the station. If normal "tourist" precautions are taken, is this a safe area to be walking around in? What about in the evening hours? If not, which areas are the safest? After reading all the taxi horror stories, I thought it might just be easier to walk. Also, any recommendations on transportation to the airport when we leave?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,020 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: District Safety

I can't think of anyplace that really isn't safe. I wouldn't stay by the train station. not because of safety concerns, but because that isn't my preferred area.

I have never experienced any taxi horror stories, and I have taken a lot of taxis in Prague.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: District Safety

1,You can take the AE airport express bus from the main train station...Wilson street..pay 60kc, $3 to the driver

2. across from Marriott is shuttle service for 150kc $7.50....in front of Czech Airlines store front

3. take yellow or green metro to end and catch airport buses...cheapest way 32kc

4. hire a transfer

5. taxi..minimum 600kc..$30

Prague is safe for a city of its size..even at 1,2 or 3a.m. ...most important, keep your bags closed, zippers zipped.

there are way s to avoid taxi horrors

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: District Safety

Thanks so much for the information. What hotel would you recommend?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: District Safety

from train station, go one metro stop to Florenc

check out Jurys Inn (plus the larger Hilton)

train area..Hilton and Marriott just about 800 yds, 10min walk

IBIS Old Towne, moderate price, modern

actual train station area

Chopin

987 Hotel

Hotel Maria Prag

higher end is Marriott's Boscolo

you can include Vaclav Square in your search....upper end is near enough to the train station to walk

for ex. Hotel Yasmin

Ramada City Centre

Edited: 04 August 2014, 06:21
5. Re: District Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:16